HOWTO: Troubleshoot Zetafax Connector for Goldmine (Inbound)
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 8.0.1 only
- Zetafax Connector add on for GoldMine version 8.0.1 only
This document is a trouble-shooting guide that should enable users/system administrators to track down and diagnose any problems they might be experiencing with the Zetafax Connector for GoldMine when used from within the Zetafax Client.
It is intended that this document be read in parallel with the GoldMine integration help files (see the Zetafax Client help) and technical notes that relate to the configuration and use of Zetafax Connector for GoldMine, for more information on installation and configuration please refer ZTN1321-HOWTO Install the Zetafax Connector for Goldmine.
WARNING: Some sections of this document refer to using the windows Registry Editor, Using the Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Equisys cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
General troubleshooting hints and tips:
This section provides some general information that may be useful when troubleshooting the Zetafax Connector add on for GoldMine.
- Read the GoldMine log file. This is called gm.log and can be located in the folder that holds the Zetafax executable or the \WINNT\system32folder. There are four types of message that are logged to gm.log. These are:
- Error - Serious events that usually prevent the user from proceeding with their task
- Warning - Less serious events that may require attention
- nformation - Informational events only, to allow users/administrators to monitor what is happening
- External Source - Events logged by an external application that is connected to the Zetafax-GoldMine integration library.
A typical log entry takes the following format:
< date> < time> < Log Entry type> < Log message> < Developer reference>
For example: 27-8-2003 15:29 ERROR Failed to log user GARY (-4) onto GoldMine GMConn.cpp 357
Resolving Specified Problems:
The remainder of this document focuses upon particular symptoms and their resolution
Cannot connect to GoldMine
- Ensure the username and password correspond to a valid GoldMine username and password
- Ensure that the path text box points to the root GoldMine folder, e.g. C:\program files\GoldMine\
- If this does not resolve the problem, then it is possible that the registry keys holding the logon information has become damaged. A system administrator will need to clear out this portion of the registry. To do this:
- Ensure you are logged onto the machine as the Windows user who is experiencing the problem and that the Zetafax Client is not running.
- Open the registry using regedit
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Equisys\\Zetafax\\GoldMine
- If present, delete the following keys and values:
- Restart the Zetafax Client
- Ensure that zfGMLib.dll exists on the client machine, and that this file has been registered using regsvr32.exe.
A search for a contact does not yield any results
- Logon to GoldMine as the same user that was used to connect through the Zetafax Client and ensure that the contact(s) can be seen.
- Ensure that contact record has a fax number associated with it through GoldMine. The 'Search GoldMine Contacts' dialog only displays a contact record with a fax number.
- Check whether the Zetafax Client has enough information to connect to the correct GoldMine database (only applicable if the GoldMine database is located in a folder that is NOT < GoldMine install folder> \Common\. To verify that Zetafax is connecting to the correct database, do the following:
- Browse to the GoldMine install folder.
- Open < username> .ini where < username> is the GoldMine username
- Look for a section called [GoldMine]
- In this section, find an entry called 'CommonDir'. The value assocaited with this key should point to your GoldMine database folder.
- If the ini file is missing, log onto GoldMine and connect to the appropriate database. The ini file should be generated automatically.
- If the section or entry is missing from the ini file, a system administrator may be able to add it manually. It will look something like this.
CommonDir = c:\mydatabases\mycontacts_db\
When addressing a fax, no GoldMine option appears under the 'Other Address Books'
On the Zetafax Server, browse to the following folder:
< Zetafax Server install folder> \System\Z-DB\
Ensure that a file called zftogm.csv exists. This should be a three columned comma separated file that contains the name, company and fax number of your GoldMine contacts.
If this file does not exist, this may be because the Zetafax for CRM windows service that extracts this information and generates the CSV file is either not installed or not running. Please see the Outbound Faxing troubleshooting guide for further information on trouble-shooting this area.
Last updated: 29 October 2003 (SV/DH)