INFO: Enable debug logging for Zetadocs NAV/Business Central for a server-side installation
This Zetadocs technical note applies to:
- Zetadocs Capture and Delivery Version 9 CodeUnits and onwards
- 64bit NAV or Business Central role-tailored clients.
This technote will guide you through the process of enabling the debug loging within your NAV or Business Central system. By default the system will be logging all 'Error' messages to the log file. However, in order for further troubleshooting you may need to enable debug logging to assist with finding the issue.
In order to enable debug logging, please follow the below steps:
- Open the NAV or Business Central Role Tailored Client
- In the Search bar, search for the 'Zetadocs General Settings' page.
- Find the 'Log Level' field and change this to 'Debug'.
Now this is in debug mode, you should be able to reproduce the issue you are facing. Once you have reproduced the issue, you will now need to gather the log file. This is found by following the below steps:
- RDP to the NAV or Business Central application server. This will be the server where the NAV/Business Central users temp folders are stored. If you are unsure, you may need to reach out to your reseller to find out which server this would be.
- Open a file explorer and browse to the specified location. Please note that parts of the below path will be unique to your system and you will need to modify any parts within a <> bracket.
- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\<version number>\Server\<Instance name>\users\<Domain>\<username>\temp\Zetadocs
- The file is called 'ZetadocsNAV.log'
- Take a copy of this file and move it to a location you can then access when required.
Now you have reproduced the issue and gathered the log file. We advise to revert the log level back to 'Error' to avoid the log files getting too large. To do this, follow the first steps in this technote, but instead of setting it to 'Debug', set it to 'Warning'
This log file remains inside the users NAV/Business Central temp area until the NAV/Business Central server service is restarted. If the issue you are facing forces the NAV server to restart, before starting the NAV/Business Central service again, it maybe best to gather the log files before starting it again. The process of starting the NAV/Business Central service clears the users NAV/Business Central temp area.
Last updated: 28th Februrary 2023 (BB/CR)
Keywords: Zetadocs for NAV, BC Server side