HOWTO: Configure a HP OfficeJet 8500 Multi Function Printer for authenticated sending of faxes via Zetafax
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 2009 and later
- HP OfficeJet 8500 CB023A
Most companies need to send paper faxes, for customers who send a low volume of paper faxes they can integrate the HP OfficeJet 8500 CB023A with their Zetafax solution. This enables authenticated faxing which records all fax transmissions within a global sent archive and also provides a successful send email notification.
From the MFP (Multi Function Printer), Users can choose the recipient from an address book or manually enter the fax address before submitting an SMTP message to Zetafax for processing as a fax.
This document will explain the following:
- How to install the HP OfficeJet 8500 CB023A software and drivers
- How to enable the “Scan to Email” feature
- How to submit a fax using the HP OfficeJet 8500 CB023A
This technote assumes the Zetafax SMTP Gateway has already been configured. For information on configuring the gateway follow the technote http://www.equisys.com/technotes/ztn1418.htm.
How to install and enable the HP OfficeJet for “Scan to Email” feature
- Insert the “HP OfficeJet Pro 8500” CD into the drive. Run the Setup.exe to start the installer if the Autorun does not start automatically.
- Choose “Install Network/Wireless Device” to begin installing the relevant HP components.
- Choose Next and tick to Accept the Terms and conditions. This will begin the install of the HP Software.
- Once complete click Finish.
- Click Next to connect this printer to the network, then choose to connect a “Wired (Ethernet)” Printer and click Next.
- Choose the HP MFP from the Network Printers list as shown below and then choose Next. This will then install the HP MFP onto the network.
- Once installed click finish.
How to enable the “Scan to Email” feature
In order for faxes to be sent directly from the HP MFP to Zetafax the “Scan to Email” feature must be enabled.
- Click “Set Up Digital Filing” from the below menu.
- Then select “Scan to Email” and choose Next to begin going through the setup wizard.
- Select Add to setup an outgoing email profile. Enter a users email address for the outgoing email profile.
- Click Next, enter the server name for the SMTP mail server and appropriate SMTP port, then click Next.
*If you use SMTP Authentication then apply the appropriate username and password.
- Enter a Display Name for the Email Address. For authenticated logon, enter a pin code for the User.
- Click Next and choose “Test Email Setup”. Once the test passes click Next and Finish. All users outgoing profiles can be setup later by browsing to the HP MFP’s IP address, for example:
- Browse to Settings, Outgoing Email Profile Setup to add additional outgoing user profiles for each user who wishes to send faxes.
- The HP MFP is now configured to send out email.
How to submit a fax using the HP OfficeJet 8500
- Place the document to be faxed into the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) or the product scanner glass.
- Choose the Email button in the Scan area of the control panel. Select the appropriate Outgoing Email Profile (Enter Pin if required).
- Select the TO field and either pick the address from the address book or manually address the fax in the following format firstname.lastname@example.org
For more advanced options such as coversheets and letterheads refer to the “Sending a fax message” section in the following technote http://www.equisys.com/technotes/ztn1418.htm
First Published: 20 October 2009 (IN/MW)