HOWTO: Updating to Zetafax 2014
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Users updating to Zetafax 2014
This document describes how to update a Zetafax installation to version 2014.
Instances under which you cannot update the Zetafax Server
Zetafax 2014 is supported on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Small Business Server 2003, Windows Small Business Server 2008, Windows Small Business Server 2011, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012. Support for other operating systems is not available.
If you have a system which is not Zetafax 2012 (e.g., Zetafax 2011, 2010, 2009 or earlier), you will require an upgrade license for Zetafax 2014. You should obtain this before starting to install the upgrade.
Updating an installed version of the Zetafax Server
If you are updating a previously installed version, please follow the procedure outlined below, if you are upgrading from Zetafax 2008 or earlier please review technote ZTN1959 for further information.
- Shut down the Zetafax Server or stop the Zetafax Server service with the Services applet in Control Panel.
- Run the installation program (Welcome.exe) from the CD-ROM or run your download version Zetafax2014InstallSet.exe which will automatically extract and run the setup program.
- From the setup program select Install Zetafax and then Zetafax Server to begin your installation.
- If you are updating to v2014 from an existing version e.g. v2012, v2011 you will be asked if you wish to upgrade the Zetafax Server. Click ‘Yes' to confirm that you do and click ‘Install’ to start the upgrade process.
- Zetafax licenses are normally emailed to you by a member of the sales team. After you have entered the license click “Next” and then “Install” to start the upgrade process. The upgrade should then run and complete without further user intervention.
- When you click Finish, your new Zetafax installation is ready to be registered. To do this, you can start the Zetafax Server this will automatically prompt you to register your copy of Zetafax with our online registration service.
Copies of Zetafax 2014 and any associated upgrade or add-on packs require the registration to be completed within 28 days to be able to continue sending faxes. You will be prompted to register your copy if you have not done so, this will open up the License and Registration Wizard, it offers you two methods of registering depending on whether the machine you are using has an internet connection. If the machine lacks access to the internet it is possible to register your copy of Zetafax from another machine.
- Click the Register Online button.
- Add the Company name and select the “Register” button, the Product Registration Page should open already populated with the license key details.
- Add any remaining missing details and when finished click the “Register” button, your registration code will be emailed to the email address provided on the registration page.
- Enter this registration code into the License and Registration Wizard, select the “Finish” button to complete your registration process.
Registering from another computer
To register your copy of Zetafax from another computer, select the Register from Another Computer button. This will open up a dialogue box containing the details necessary to perform a registration from another machine, copy these details and follow the instruction detailed below from a computer with internet access.
Upgrading the Zetafax Client
Once the server is updated, you are ready to update the Zetafax clients. To do this, log on to each user's PC as the network administrator and ensure the Zetafax Client is not running. Open windows explorer and browse to the network share for your Zetafax Server, open the “SYSTEM” sub-folder and run the “wksetup.exe” program. If you have an existing version 9 or later Zetafax Client the install will detect this and ask if you wish to remove the old installations before installing the new Zetafax Client Applications install; if you click “Yes” and then follow the installation wizard, the install will then run and complete. If there is no existing Zetafax Client on the machine, or a version 8 or earlier Client, then the install will simply install a new Client.
The Zetafax Client Applications can be rolled out using Group Policy for both updates and new installs. Please consult the online help documentation for advice on how to do this.
Upgrading the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2003
In order to upgrade the Zetafax Exchange Connector, you must first uninstall the existing connector on the Exchange Server. To do this: -
- Log on as a user with sufficient rights, for example, Domain admin rights (Including schema admin rights on active directory if it's a Windows 2003 domain).
- Open the Control Panel and double-click Add/Remove programs.
- Select Zetafax Exchange Connector and click Uninstall.
- Restart the Exchange server.
Having uninstalled the Zetafax Exchange connector for Exchange 2003 systems you will need to run the Zetafax Exchange 2003 Schema Utility that can be downloaded from:
Next, install the new connector from the Zetafax product download. To do this:
- Extract the product download onto the machine. The installation program runs automatically.
- In the dialog displayed, select Install Zetafax, and then choose the relevant option from those listed.
Upgrading the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007
There are two parts to the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007. The first part is automatically installed on the Zetafax Server machine as part of the Zetafax Server install. The second part is installed on the Exchange 2007 machine.
To install the Exchange 2007 part of the connector, please do one of the following:
- Install the connector using the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007 installer by following ZTN1615 - INFO: Installing the Zetafax Connector on Exchange 2007 Server
- Install the components manually by following ZTN1565-HOWTO: Manually Installing Exchange 2007 Server-Side Components
Upgrading the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2010
There are two parts to the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2010. The first part is automatically installed on the Zetafax Server machine as part of the Zetafax Server install. The second part is installed on the Exchange 2010 machine.
To install the Exchange 2010 part of the connector, please do one of the following:
- Install the connector using the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2010 installer by following ZTN1786 - INFO: Installing the Zetafax Connector on Exchange 2010 Server
- Install the components manually by following ZTN1787-HOWTO: Manually Installing Exchange 2010 Server-Side Components
Upgrading the Email Gateway
The Zetafax Server installation program now includes the Zetafax Email Gateway files.
As a result, the Email Gateway is automatically upgraded when the Zetafax Server is upgraded.
Upgrading the Zetafax Outlook Extensions
The Outlook Extensions for Outlook 2003 and later are now included in the Zetafax Client Applications combined installer. There is no separate installer. The Zetafax Client Applications installer also upgrades the custom Outlook forms as appropriate.
Upgrading the Zetafax Web Client
On the server hosting the Web Client, run the install program from the Zetafax product download. During the install, you are prompted to re-enter the account name and password created when you installed the earlier version of the Web Client.
Upgrading Zetafax Notebook Installations
To upgrade notebook installations (having already upgraded the main Zetafax Server) : -
Insert the (new) Zetafax CD or product download onto the machine.
- Connect the notebook PC to the network and run Setup.exe from the Zetafax download. The install detects the notebook install and updates it.
- Once the update is completed, upgrade the Zetafax Client (see section on Upgrading the Zetafax Client above).
Upgrading Zetafax API applications
If your Zetafax API application uses ZFAPI32.DLL, ensure that your application loads the updated version of the DLL installed with the updated Zetafax Server. If your application links statically to the API library (ZFAPIS.LIB), you should recompile your application and link to the updated library file, which is also installed with the updated server.
Upgrading the Zetafax SMTP Server
On the server that has the SMTP Server installed, run the install program from the Zetafax product download.
ZTN1963-INFO What is new in Zetafax 2014
ZTN1951-PRB: License code is not requested when upgrading Zetafax Server and the server is unable to start
Last updated: 12th September 2013 (MW/)