HOWTO: Install and configure Brooktrout TR1034 and TruFax intelligent fax boards.
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax version 9.1 and later
This technical note describes the installation process for the following Brooktrout intelligent fax cards.
- TR1034 Analog and BRI (Basic Rate ISDN)
- TruFax BRI (Basic Rate ISDN)
- TruFax Analog Full Size RoHS range
This includes TruFax 100-R Europe, TruFax 200-R Europe, TruFax 100-R UK, TruFax 200-R UK
Note: These new boards are known as Removal of Hazardous Substances Boards (RoHS) and are generally referred to with an R in the Cantata model description referring to RoHS compliancy.
- If installing a TruFax Analog Universal PCI International 100 or 200 (non RoHS) follow ZTN1297
Note: This technical note assumes the Brooktrout fax board and Zetafax server have NOT been installed.
The installation process involves the following procedures.
- Installing the Brooktrout board(s) hardware.
- Installing the Brooktrout Drivers and applications
- Installing the Zetafax server application.
Installing the Brooktrout board(s) hardware
Note: To prevent static damage, always connect yourself to ground using a ground strap before working with computers and computer components. Handle boards only by the edges or mounting brackets and Always transport and store them in an anti-static bag.
- Shut down the server system and remove the cover, also if present remove the PCI expansion hold down bar.
- Locate a vacant PCI slot, and remove the slot cover from the system chassis.
- Align the board with the slot and seat the board firmly into the slot, and tighten the mounting screw into the system chassis.
Note: If you are adding an additional Brooktrout board, or installing multiple boards. You must make a note of Module numbers of the various boards. Each board must be set to a unique module number for that system. Please refer to the documentation provided by Brooktrout to do this.
- Replace the cover.
If required, for more information about the hardware installation please refer to the Brooktrout website,
Installing the Brooktrout Drivers and application
To work through this next section you will need to have your Zetafax installation CD, or have downloaded the current Zetafax server installation from the Equisys website
- Start up the system, and logon to Windows as a user with administrator rights.
- With Windows 2000/2003, the New Hardware Wizard you will prompt you to provide drivers/software for the "TRxStream" device. Select, Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) and click Next.
- Select Search for best driver in these locations, check Include this location in the search: then click Browse.
- Browse to the Boston folder on the CD, The files on the CD are located in the \Zetafax\Server\program files\Zetafax Server\SERVER\Boston folder. If you have downloaded the update, locate the trxstream.inf file and specify the path instead.
- Click Next.
- You may be prompted with a security alert from the operating system, if so click Yes.
- Next the operating system will prompt you to install the Brooktrout configuration software, click Yes.
- You will be prompted to provide the path to the software installation; here you should point to the boston.msi file. On the CD this is E:\zetafax\Server\program files\Zetafax Server \SERVER\Boston\Trxstream.
- Click OK, once you have done this.
- When the Brooktrout System Software starts up, click Next.
- Select I accept the terms in the licence agreement, and then click Next.
- Click Next to confirm the destination folder, then click Install. Once complete click Finish.
- You will be prompted to install communications software to configure the board. Click Next, and Finish to complete.
Installing the Zetafax server application
The next section follows the standard installation and continues from step 4 of the install, where you will be asked to configure your Brooktrout device, follow the steps below. (If you need more information please refer to Zetafax server).
- Click Next, as below.
- Select Brooktrout fax board, and click Add.
- Select the type of Brooktrout card you are installing. If installing a TR1034 or TruFax BRI board choose it from the list as below and click Next. Then go to point 6. If installing a TruFax Analog go to Point 4 or 5 to choose the right model.
- If you are installing a TruFax Analog RoHS board as listed above please choose TR1034 Analog from the list as below and not TruFax Analog. Move on to Point 6.
- If you are installing a TruFax Analog non RoHS board as listed above please choose TruFax Analog from the list and apply ZTN1297 ignoring the rest of this technical note.
- The Device Configuration Wizard will now install the firmware for the board. Click Next.
- The Boston Configuration Tool preferences will appear (if this is the first board you are adding). Accept the defaults and click OK.
- You are now presented with the Zetafax Device Configuration Wizard dialog.
Note: Configuration for these types of board is on a per board basis, not on a per port basis as in previous versions of Zetafax, or other fax devices.
- Enter a description for the Board you are configuring.
- If this is the only board you have installed, the configuration program, will have automatically selected the Board module no, if you have multiple cards installed, you will need to make sure the correct module number has been selected for the card you are configuring.
- In the Channels used setting you need to specify the number of lines on the board you wish to utilize on the board up to the total number available on the board (these may not be the same value if you have a partial PRI line or a limited line licence).
- Next you need to select the default User to receive incoming faxes if you wish to receive faxes on this board. You can also choose to set a certain number of Receive-only channels or check the Use all channels for incoming calls only if you won't be sending faxes. If you wish to make all channels outgoing only, set the default user to receive faxes to (disabled).
Note: If you are using DID/DDI routing, you will still need to select a default user for incoming faxes. This will be the user who receives faxes if no DID/DDI information is received.
- When you have completed specifying the settings, click Advanced. to specify a dial prefix (e.g. 9 to get an outside line), the fax number on the header line etc. click OK, when you have finished.
Note: You may need to run the Driver configuration tool. in advanced mode if, for example, you have a digital card and need to check that the line type is set to either ISDN or T1 Robbed-bit as appropriate.
- Click Next, then Next again to continue, and Finish to complete.
- Continue through the installation as normal.
- Start up the Zetafax server, once initiated each channel you specified will show up as idle in the Zetafax server.
ZTN1400-INFO Brooktrout TR1034 and TruFax BRI technical note references for Zetafax.
ZTN1399-INFO Brooktrout Initialisation Error Messages.
ZTN1397-HOWTO Configure older Brooktrout TR1034 PRI boards.
ZTN1394-HOWTO Upgrade Brooktrout TR1034 Installations from Zetafax version 8 or 9 Pre SP1.
ZTN1397-HOWTO Configure older Brooktrout TR1034 PRI boards.
ZTN1470 - HOWTO Configure a Brooktrout TR1034 board to support Fax-Over-IP
ZTN1475 - PRB Manually configuring channels on the Brooktrout TruFax, TR114 and TR1034 cards
ZTN1514 - PRB Brooktrout TR1034 and TruFax BRI boards fail to initialise correctly on Windows 2000 and 2003
ZTN1522 - PRB Brooktrout devices fail on server startup
Last reviewed: 12 October 2006 (LD/GC/EB)
Date Published: 3 September 2004 (WC/SV)