PRB: Zetafax Exchange 2000 connector will not start due to a logon failure
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 7 Exchange connector
After a successful install of the Exchange 2000 connector on an upgraded Exchange 5.5 server that hosted the previous Zetafax connector you notice that no mail messages are being processed, on further investigation you find the connector service stopped. Viewing the System Event log you see the error:
The Zetafax Connector service terminated with the following error:
The service did not start due to a logon failure.
There may also be 80004005 error code entries in the Event log for the Zetafax connector service.
The Exchange 5.5 connector uninstall process has not successfully removed all of the connector files on restart.
These files must be manually removed before the connector will start correctly. To achieve this follow the instructions detailed below:
- Launch Windows Explorer and browse to %WINDIR%\system32.
- Locate the Exchange 5.5 connector DLL's (ZFIN.DLL, ZFOUT.DLL) if they exist and delete them.
- Do not delete ZF2KIN.DLL, ZF2KOUT.DLL, as these are required for the correct operation of the Exchange 2000 connector. If these files are missing you will need to follow the instructions in technical note ZTN1159 (Exchange 2000 connector install reports that it is already installed) after completion of these instructions. This document is available on the Equisys website http://www.equisys.com/support.
- Start Registry Editor on the Exchange server.
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Equisys cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
For information about how to edit the registry, view the " Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) or the " Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and " Edit Registry Data" Help topics in REGEDT32.EXE. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
- Locate the following key in the registry:
- Delete the two sub keys if they exist that correspond to the DLL's you deleted in 2 above (ZFIN.DLL, ZFOUT.DLL).
- There should now only be two sub keys that correspond to the DLL's mentioned in 3 above (ZF2KIN.DLL, ZF2KOUT.DLL). Confirm these sub keys exist and are complete as detailed below:
- Each sub key has a GetTrivialVector key that contains these entries and values:
ZFCONNECTOR.INBOUND or ZFCONNECTOR.OUTBOUND (Depending on the key selected)
- If any of these entries do not exist, do not edit them directly. Uninstall the Zetafax connector using the Add/Remove applet in 'Control Panel' and restart the Exchange server. Once restarted install the Exchange 2000 connector again.
- Quit Registry Editor.
- The Zetafax connector service should now start correctly and begin processing messages.
This has been identified by Equisys as a problem with the software versions given above.
Last updated: 3 October 2001 (GC/DH)