HOWTO: Enable the Attachment handling for remote printing add-on with Exchange 2000
This Zetalink technical note applies to:
This document details instructions on enabling and licensing the 'Attachment handling for remote printing' add-on pack when Zetalink is configured with Microsoft Exchange 2000.
Zetafax is installed as the communications server component of Zetalink, but the version installed by Zetalink does not support the handling of e-mail attachments. Zetalink shows that an attachment exists when the user is browsing an e-mail in their inbox or using the 'Print-to-Fax' feature provided, but does not print it.
Should the Zetalink user require the attachment to be printed along with the e-mail message, then the Zetalink administrator must install and license additional software.
Before continuing with the instructions below, ensure you have the following:
- Zetafax CD-ROM
- Attachment handling for remote printing add-on pack for MSX 2000
- Exchange 2000 cross-grade license
Applying the add-ons licenses
- Launch the Zetafax configuration from the Zetafax program group.
- Right click on the 'Licensing and Registration' and select 'Modify/upgrade license details'.
- Select the 'Install add-on' button, enter the 'Attachment handling for remote printing' add-on license and click OK.
- Make a note of the new registration code and click OK on the warning dialog.
- Click the 'Install add-on' button again and enter the Exchange 2000 cross-grade license. Click OK.
- Make a note of the new registration code and click OK on the warning dialog. Click 'Next'.
- Select 'Next' to skip the next dialog.
- Populate the contact details on the 'User license details' dialog. Select 'Next' and 'Next' again until you reach the license registration details box. Click 'Finish'.
- An 'automatic registration' box will be displayed advising you that although you have changed the contact details you are not required to reregister. If you wish to reregister the product click 'Yes' and follow the instructions below to register, if not click 'No' to close.
Reregistering the product
This step may be skipped if you chose 'No' to the question above.
- To register, open the Zetafax client from the Zetafax program group and login as Zetalink. The client will automatically prompt you to send a new registration fax. If it does not prompt then go to 'Help' on the toolbar and select 'Register now'. This will send a registration fax to the centre selected during the update.
Now that the Zetalink communications server has been successfully licensed you now need to add the additional software to enable attachment handling. This entails installing a connector on the Exchange 2000 server and a mail submitter on the communications server.
Installing the Zetafaxconnector for Microsoft Exchange 2000
Before the Zetafax connector is installed ensure that you are logged into the Microsoft Exchange 2000 server using the administrator account or an account with administrator privileges that is also a member of the Schema Admins and Enterprise Admins groups.
Using the 'Services' applet in control panel, ensure that the following Microsoft Exchange 2000 services are installed and running:
- Microsoft Exchange Information Store
- Microsoft Exchange MTA stacks
- Microsoft Exchange System Attendant
The Zetafax connector depends on these services and will not run unless they are all running.
The Zetafaxconnector for the Microsoft Exchange 2000 installation program should be run on the Microsoft Exchange 2000 server.
- Log on to Windows NT using an account with administrator privileges and member of the Schema Admins group.
- Run the Zetafax connector for Exchange 2000 setup program from the Zetafax CD-ROM.
- Click the 'Next' button to begin installation and follow the instructions on screen to install the Zetafax connector.
- Once Setup has copied all of the relevant files to your computer, the final screen will ask you whether you wish to install the Zetafax personal folders onto this computer. Uncheck this box and click 'Finish'.
- The Zetafax connector should now be visible from within the main Microsoft Exchange System Manager snap-in window. It is installed into the 'Connectors' container for the default routing group of the current Exchange 2000 server. Right-click and select 'Properties' on the Zetafax connector and ensure that the 'use default coversheet' option is not checked. This will allow Zetalink to use its own coversheet for remote printing ensuring the faxes are correctly formatted.
- Once the Setup process is complete, you should check the Zetafax connector service is started, it is important to check that there are no errors reported. If there are, check the event log for further information.
You should now install the Zetafax mail submitter program onto the communications server by following the steps described below:
The mail submitter installation program should be run on the communications server (Zetafax).
- Log in at the communications server and check that you have full access rights to the Zetafax base directory; for example, F:\ZFAX. If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0, ensure that you are logged in as a user with administrator privileges.
- Insert the Zetafax CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive and click on the 'Install Zetafax e-mail gateway' link.
- Follow the instructions on screen to install the mail submitter programs.
- The Setup program will copy the appropriate files to the Zetafax server's home directory.
Configuring the gateway for Microsoft Exchange 2000
Before you can configure the Zetafax mail submitter for Microsoft Exchange 2000, the Zetafax connector service must have been successfully installed and running as a service on the Microsoft Exchange 2000 server.
The e-mail gateway is configured using Zetafax Configuration. This is run automatically when the Zetafax e-mail gateway upgrade is installed, as described earlier.
- Choose the 'Server settings' node from the left pane and click the 'Mail Gateway' icon.
- The default setting is for the e-mail gateway to be disabled. Select the 'Enabled' radio button to enable the e-mail gateway.
Note: Whenever you switch between 'Enabled' and 'Disabled', all e‑ mail addresses held by Zetafax are removed. These addresses can take some time to set up again, so take care not to disable the e-mail gateway unless you really need to.
- Click the 'Add Mail.' button, and select 'Microsoft Exchange 2000' and click the 'Add' button.
- Click the OK button to close.
- Click the 'Configure.'button.
- Highlight 'Microsoft Exchange' in the -Mail systems' column and click the 'Setup' button to display the Microsoft Exchange 2000 Setup dialog box.
- Verify that the 'Driver enabled' box is checked.
- Ensure that 'Exchange Connector Path' points to the installation directory where you installed the Zetafax connector.
- Ensure the 'Connector address type name' is set to 'FAX'. Check that the 'Default' radio button is selected in the Cover Page section, this will allow Zetalink to specify its own cover sheet, ensuring that they are correctly formatted.
- Click the 'Test connection' button to validate the information you have entered for the Zetafax connector.
- If there are any problems with the connection, you should check that the path is valid and, if using the UNC notation, that a share has been created with the right permissions. If you are still experiencing problems with the connection, please refer to the support page on the Equisys web site.
- If the connection to the Zetafax connector is successful, click the OK button to exit the Microsoft Exchange Setup Service dialog box.
- Click the 'Rendering.' button to display a dialog box with two tabs, 'Applications' and 'Rendering'.
- The options on the 'Applications' tab allow you to register the applications you have installed on the communications server with the gateway. Typically, these are the most common applications used by your network users as e-mail attachments.
Note: If a Zetalink user attempts to print an e‑ mail message with an attachment created by an application that has not been registered or installed on the communications server, the e-mail gateway will be unable to process the message.
- You must install the ASCII driver as an absolute minimum. This is the driver that converts the text of the email message itself.
- To enable rich text support, click 'Associate' and associate the .RTF file extension with your Word processing package in the Configure Associations dialog box which follows.
- Click the 'Rendering' tab. The first time you choose this tab, Zetafax attempts to install the gateway's rendering printer driver. The mail rendering subsystem printer driver will then become visible the next time you start the Print Manager.
Note: The printer driver will not be installed successfully under Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0 unless the user account you are currently using has administrator privileges.
- With versions 1.0 and 2.0 of Zetalink you will need to upgrade the Zfmail.dll. This dll is installed in the '.zfax\mail\' directory. The updated version is included on the CD for Zetalink v2.0.
Enabling the Zetalink user to use the e-mail gateway
This section details enabling the Zetalink user specified during the Zetalink install to use the e-mail gateway.
- Choose the 'Users and user groups' node on the left pane of the Zetafax configuration program.
- Select the existing Zetalink user account by highlighting the user's entry and selecting Edit (Action menu).
- Check the box marked 'Allow sending from e-mail gateway' and the box marked 'Forward received messages via email'.
- It is important that a valid email username appears in the Email username box. If you have already created a list of Microsoft Exchange 2000 users, as described below, then this box will be completed automatically by the configuration program.
- If the Email username box is still blank, click the 'Browse' button to browse the current list of email users maintained by the communications server.
- You can manually select a name from this list by highlighting it and clicking the 'Select' button.
- If this list of e-mail users is empty, you must populate the list. Click the 'Refresh' button.
- The configuration program will start the Microsoft Exchange User Export program, which builds a list of the Microsoft Exchange 2000 users on the organization.
- Check the Exchange 2000 box and accept the default path. Click the 'Export' button to begin the export.
- Highlight the e-mail address of the Zetalink user and click the 'Select' button.
- This will associate the e-mail address of the user with their Zetafax address and enable them to use the gateway.
- Click OK to close and exit the configuration program.
Exchange connector setting
To avoid the Zetafax connector selecting the default coversheet you should check the following configuration setting for the Zetafax Connector. This should be done after successfully configuring the Zetafax server and starting it up so that the Zetafax server and connector are passing the correct cover sheet information to each other. Then the following should be done:
- Logon to the Exchange server system and run the Exchange system manager application (as below).
- Browse to the Zetafax connector (Administrative Groups|First Administrative Groups|Routing Groups|First Routing Group|Connectors) and open up the Zetafax Connector Properties dialog box (as above).
- Ensure the setting 'Always use default coversheet and letterhead' is not checked. (i.e. it is not ticked as in the example above).
- Click 'Apply', then 'OK', then exit from the Exchange system program.
Configuring the Zetalink server to use the 'Attachment handling for remote printing' package.
- Start Registry Editor on the Zetalink server.
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Equisys cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) or the "Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in REGEDT32.EXE. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
- Locate the following key in the registry:
- Select the entries below and populate with values described:
Send Fax Via Email
1 - where 1 is enabled (via e-mail gateway)
Mail_server - where 'Mail_server' is the name of the Exchange server hosting the Zetafax connector.
Zetalink_user - where 'Zetalink_user' is the name of the mailbox on the Exchange server you enabled to use the e-mail gateway with the Zetafax configuration program. (This user will receive success/failure notifications for all Zetalink users. Regular housekeeping will be required on this mailbox to prevent it from growing in size).
- Close REGEDIT.EXE.
NOTE: In order to use the 'Send Fax via Email' feature, the Zetalink communications server uses Microsoft's CDO (Collaborative Data Objects) messaging components. These are generally installed on Windows systems when the user installs Microsoft messaging software such as Exchange or Outlook.
If no such software has been installed, the simplest solution is to install Outlook. Please note that CDO is only available with Outlook 98 or later; also with Outlook versions 2000 and XP CDO is not installed by default, so you need to select it as an additional feature during the installation (normally done by selecting the 'Custom' installation option).
Testing your new configuration
- Ensure you have an e-mail in your inbox with a valid attachment. Valid attachments are listed in the e-mail gateway configuration and require the application to be installed on the Zetafax server.
- Logon to Zetalink with your WAP enabled mobile device and browse to the e-mail in your inbox.
- Select 'View' and then 'Print' form the 'Menu' options.
- Enter a valid Fax number and ensure you choose 'Yes' to 'Print attachments:' hit 'OK' then 'Print'.
- Your selected e-mail and attachment should be faxed to the specified number shortly. The confirmation and copy of fax will be sent to the mailbox above.
Last updated: 4 December 2001 (GC/DH)