HOWTO: Configure Lotus Domino 7.0 with Zetafax 2006
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 2006
- Lotus Domino 7.0
This technote is designed to help you to configure Lotus Domino 7.0 with Zetafax version 2006
To configure Zetafax for Lotus Notes you will need to follow the steps below, which are described in further detail later in this section.
- Create a Lotus Notes user, Mail router mailbox, and a Foreign Domain.
- Install a full Lotus Notes client on the Zetafax Server PC.
- Add the path to the Nnotes.dll files to the environment variables.
- Set up the e-mail gateway using the Zetafax configuration program, register the e-mail system, and test the connection to the Lotus Notes server.
- Install the Mail Rendering Printer driver and any rendering applications.
- Configure Zetafax users to use the e-mail gateway.
- Install the Zetafax Options in the Domino database.
Configuring Lotus Domino
Open the Domino Administrator. Open the People & Groups tab.
1. In the Tools list on the right-hand side, click People then on Register as below;
Note: If prompted enter the Certifier password and click OK on the warning messages about recovery information.
2. When the Register Person dialog box appears, check the Advanced checkbox in the lower-middle left.
3. On the Basics tab, assign a username to the Zetafax Mail Gateway user, such as Zetafax Gateway as below;
Note: We recommend that no password be specified for this user. If you give the user a password, the Zetafax Server will prompt you for this password every time it starts, and when you run the Zetafax Configuration. To set blank passwords click the 'Password Options.' button and set the 'Password Quality Scale' to 'Weak Password is optional (0)'.
4. On the 'Mail' tab, ensure that the Mail system is set to Lotus Notes and you have selected the appropriate Mail Server.
5. On the ID Info tab, under the Location for storing user ID section uncheck In Domino Directory and check In file instead. Make a note of the path where the user's ID file will be saved.
6. Click on the green tick to add the created user, and then click on Register. This will save the user's details to the Domino server database. You should receive a Person registered successfully! message.
Creating a router mailbox
The next stage is to create a mail router mailbox database. The router mailbox acts as a database to hold mail in transit to the Zetafax Server. We will use a standard Lotus Notes template to create the router mailbox.
1. In the Domino Administrator's menu, select File|Database|New. In the resulting dialog, select the Domino server and enter a title for the new database such as Routing for Zetafax, and the filename FAX.NSF.
2. Make sure Show Advanced Templates is ticked, and then select Mail Router Mailbox (R6) as the template for the database.
3. Click the OK button to create the database.
Specifying access rights
The next stage in the configuration is to grant manager access rights to the Zetafax Mail Gateway user for the Zetafax router database, Lotus Domino mail router database and the public address book.
To set the access rights for the Zetafax router database (FAX.NSF):
1. In the Domino Administrator open the Zetafax router database (FAX.NSF).
2. Select File|Database|Access Control. This will display the Access Control List dialog as below:
3. Click the Add. button. This will display the Add User dialog box. Click the icon representing a Lotus Domino user. This will display the Select Names dialog box.
4. At the top of the dialog, select the server's address book from the dropdown list to display the Zetafax Gateway user you set up earlier. Highlight the user and click on Add > .
5. Click the OK button to return to the Access Control List dialog box.
6. In the Access Control List dialog box, select the Zetafax Gateway user and in the Attributes Access box select Manager (as above).
7. Click the Delete Documents check box to select it.
8. Click the OK button to confirm these access rights.
To set the access rights for the Mail Router database (MAIL.BOX):
- In the Domino Administrator open the Mail Router database (MAIL.BOX).
- Repeat steps 2 to 8 as above so that the Zetafax user also has Manager Access and Delete Documents on the MAIL.BOX database.
To set the access rights for the Domino Directory (NAMES.NSF):
1. In the Domino Administrator open theDomino Directory (NAMES.NSF).
2. Repeat steps 2 to 8 as with the last two sections so that the Zetafax user also has Manager Access and Delete Documents on the NAMES.NSF database.
Defining a foreign domain
Finally, you need to define a foreign domain in the Public Address book to serve as the gateway to the Zetafax Server. This will allow faxes sent from Notes to be forwarded to FAX.NSF.
1. In the Domino Administrator client, click on the Configuration tab in the tabs pane. Expand the Server entry in the left-hand tasks pane, and then click on Configurations.
2. Go to the Create|Server|Domain menu. This will display the New Domain screen, as below.
NOTE: If the Create menu is not visible, click on the blank space in the middle of the window to get the full menu.
3. On the Basics tab select the Domain type Foreign Domain. Enter the Foreign Domain Name as FAX and enter a Domain description for example Zetafax Gateway as above.
4. Click the Mail Information tab. Enter the Gateway server name with the ServerName/CertifierName details, then in the Gateway mail file name, enter FAX.nsf as below:
5. It is not normally necessary to alter any of the other default settings when creating a new domain. Click Save & Close then exit from the Domino Administrator. The domain is then ready to begin exchanging mail with Zetafax.
In order for the Zetafax email gateway to communicate with the Domino server. You must work through the following steps.
o Install the Lotus Notes client on the Zetafax server system.
o Run the Lotus Notes client program, it will prompt you to specify a user name ensuring that the 'Get registration ID from a file' check box on the initial login screen is selected. When prompted, browse to ID file for the Zetafax User you created earlier in this document. This will be located on the Domino server and will usually have the extension ID (e.g. zgateway.id).
Testing the foreign domain
You have now completed all the necessary steps to configure Lotus Domino/Notes. Before proceeding to configure Zetafax, you should now test the FAX foreign domain.
1. On a users system send a test message from a Lotus Notes user to the following recipient:
2. On the Zetafax server system log on to a Lotus Notes client using the special Zetafax user you created earlier.
3. Open FAX.NSF database. The message you sent will be in the Zetafax mail router database.
Configuring the Zetafax email gateway
Registering the nnotes.dll
- Using the search feature in windows locate the nnotes.dll file, and make a note of its location. e.g. 'C:\Program Files\Lotus\notes' (Note: on your system this may be different).
- Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop and select Properties.
- Click on the Advanced tab, then Environment Variables. you will have the following dialog box;
- In the System variables scroll down to the variable path then click Edit.
- In the Variable Value add the following string to the end of the path:
;< path to nnotes.dll>
Note: you must add the semicolon to separate the previous entry from the one you have just added. Also DO NOT delete any of the previous entries.
Configuring the Zetafax Mail gateway
Now that the Domino server and Notes have been configured, you must configure the Zetafax Mail Gateway. First shut down the Zetafax Server service or application.
Start up the Zetafax configuration program.
- Browse to the Server settings section, and double click the Email Gateway option:
- Click Add Email. In the list of Available Drivers select Lotus Notes then click Add> > then OK.
- You will now be back to the Zetafax - Configuration options dialog box. Click Configure..
- Under E-Mail systems select Lotus Notes then click Setup. The Lotus Notes Setup Service dialog box will be displayed (as below).
- From here administrators can select the default coversheet that will be used for all submitted faxes from this Domino server.
- Enter the name of the Domino server then click Test Connection. If the server and Notes client have been configured correctly then you will receive the following confirmation message.
- Click OK, then OK again, you will now be back to the Zetafax - Configuration options dialog box. Click Rendering.
- In the list of Available Applications select Microsoft Wordpad 1.0 click Install> > then click the Rendering tab. Once presented with rendering options click the Applications tab then OK to exit from the rendering options dialog box.
Note: for more information on rendering applications, please refer to the Zetafax Setup Help file.
- You will now be back to the Zetafax - Configuration options dialog box. Click OK. You will be prompted with the following option.
- Click Yes. When prompted with Lotus Notes Import Service enter the server and E-Mail Domain names of the Domino server then click OK as below:
- Zetafax has now exported a list of current Domino users. You will be prompted to create new Zetafax users. At this point click No. You will be prompted to enable users at this point, again click No. The installation of the E-mail gateway is now complete.
Note: For more information on the different email user types within Zetafax, please refer to the Zetafax user guide.
- Start the Zetafax Configuration program (Start|Programs|Zetafax|Zetafax Configuration) then select Email gateway users in Users and user groups.
- In the right hand side of the Zetafax configuration program right-click an email user and select Enable. You will be prompted to specify either a Single shared account or Private accounts. Select Private accounts then click OK. Select a account name generation policy then click OK. You should be presented with the following dialog box.
- Click OK to create the Zetafax Email gateway user. You will need to do this for each Domino user you wish to use the Zetafax Email gateway.
- Once you have enabled all the users you wish to use Zetafax you need to restart the Zetafax server.
Installing the Zetafax Options
To install the Zetafax options for Lotus Notes:
1. Run UPNOTES.EXE from the downloaded files on the Zetafax Server machine.
2. Amend the default values for the Address Book Templates section as follows:
'Zetafax template': < path> \FAXNAMES.NTF
'Template to be upgraded': < Domino server data folder> \PUBNAMES.NTF
3. Amend the default values for the Mail File Templates section as follows:
'Zetafax template': < path> \FAXMAIL70.NTF
'Template to be upgraded': < Domino server data folder> \MAIL7.NTF
Where < zfax> is the path to the Zetafax Server's base directory, and where < Domino server data folder> ' is your Domino server data directory, e.g. 'C:\Lotus\Domino\Data\'.
4. Click on OK. You will be reminded that you need to modify the templates manually as well, and then the necessary items will be added to both the templates.
Note: you may find that Upnotes.exe is unable to access the ntf files when the Domino server is running. If this is the case you can either try shutting down the Domino server while you do the update, or you can shut down the router - go to the Domino server console and type 'tell router quit'. Run the update then type 'load router'.
Setting the permissions on the imported template files
Once the Database files have been imported, you need to sign them using the Domino Administrator,
1. Start the Domino administrator, connecting to the database you just uploaded the template files into.
2. Click on the 'Files' tab, and in the show me option select Templates only.
3. Locate the listing for Mail (R6), Mail6.ntf file, highlight it then click the sign. button:
4. Confirm the user details you are about to sign the templates then click OK.
5. Once the database files have been signed, the status monitor at the bottom will confirm that the database has been processed with no errors.
6. Locate the listing for Domino Directory, Pubnames.ntf file, highlight it then click the sign. button.
7. Confirm the user details you are about to sign the templates then click OK.
8. Once the database files have been signed, the status monitor at the bottom will confirm that the database has been processed with no errors.
Modifying the mail template database
Once the template databases have been updated, you need to insert the Zetafax subforms and then refresh the database design or wait until Notes does its scheduled refresh.
1. In the Domino Designer, open MAIL7.NTF.
2. By default, the Memo form will be selected. Double-click on it to view its design.
3. Place your cursor beneath the second instance of < Computed Subform> , then go to Create> Resource> InsertSubform, and select Zetafax Action.
4. Select File> Save.
5. Right-click on the Mail (R7) entry in the left-hand column, then select Refresh> Design. Select the server you are configuring, then click OK, and then Yes.
6. One you have updated the mail template database, every Notes user's mail database will need a design refresh. The best way of going about this depends on the details of your Domino server(s) installation. It may be sufficient to wait for the scheduled refresh to take place. Alternatively, there are a couple of ways of forcing a refresh.
1. You can run the user upgrade wizard to send every user an email which allows them to trigger an update - see the Notes help on upgrading Notes mail files to see how to do this.
2. You can trigger an update from the Domino admin console; run the Domino Administrator and select Live console and Enable. At the prompt, type tell router quit - the router will now stop processing mail. Now type in load convert -r mail\*.nsf * mail7.ntf. The console will now display the databases being converted. When this has completed, type in load router to start the router.
Modifying the public address book database template
1. In the Domino Designer, open PUBNAMES.NTF.
2. By default, the Person form will be selected. Double-click on it to view its design.
3. Place your cursor below the Internet password field, double-click, then go to Create> Resource> Insert Subform, and select Zetafax Action.
4. Go to File> Save.
5. Right-click on the Domino Directory entry in the left-hand column, then select Refresh> Design. Select the server you are configuring, then click OK, and then Yes.
After completion, verify that the Zetafax Default and People view are present. You will need to refresh each address book database manually or wait until Notes does its daily refresh.