PRB: Error Unable to install printer driver 1930 during Zetafax Client installation
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 9.0 and higher
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows XP Professional
When running the Zetafax client installation program, the following error message is displayed. After clicking 'OK' the installation continues as normal and no other errors are reported. If you look in the 'Printers and Faxes' folder there will not be a Zetafax printer installed.
This behaviour may occur because Windows Server 2003 has a policy called 'Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers' which is not configured by default. When the policy is not configured on a Windows Server 2003 family product, the installation of kernel-mode printer drivers will be blocked, which can cause the above error.
This behaviour may also occur on Windows XP client machines if this policy is enabled.
For more details see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=282011
This policy can be configured as a precaution, as Kernel-mode drivers can crash the system and cause STOP messages (blue screens) if they are poorly written.
To resolve this issue you should configure the 'Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers' policy to be 'Disabled', by using the Group Policy Object Editor.
To do this
- On the Windows 2003 domain controller open 'Active Directory Users and Computers'.
- In the console tree, right-click the Group Policy object for which you want to edit security settings, if you have not created a custom Group Policy then you should select the domain object.
- Click 'Properties', and then click the 'Group Policy' tab.
- Highlight the Group Policy object in effect click 'Edit'.
- Browse to 'Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Printers'.
- Double click 'Disallow installation of printers using kernel-mode drivers' and set it to 'Disabled'
- Click 'Apply' and then click 'OK' to close this window.
- Close 'Group Policy Editor' and 'Active Directory Users and Computers'.
- Now install the Zetafax client in the normal method.
Note: If you re-enable this policy after you have installed the Zetafax client, the Zetafax printer may be disabled when you install a service pack or perform an in-place update.
This has been identified by Equisys as a problem with the software versions given above.
Last updated: 14 June 2005 (MS/EB/SV)
Keywords: Failed install, wksetup.exe,