HOWTO: Updating to Zetafax 2009
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Users updating from Zetafax 2006, 2007 and 2008 to Zetafax 2009.
This document describes how to update a Zetafax installation to version 2009.
Instances under which you cannot update the Zetafax Server
Zetafax Server 2009 is only supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. Support for other operating systems is not available.
Updating an installed version of the Zetafax Server
If you are updating a previously installed version, please follow the procedure outlined below:
- Shut down the Zetafax Server or stop the Zetafax Server service with the Services applet in Control Panel.
- Run the installation program (SETUP.EXE) from the CD-ROM or run the download version (ZFServerInstall.exe) from the Equisys website.
- If you are updating to v2009 from an existing Zetafax 2006, 2007 or 2008 system install you will be asked if you wish to upgrade the Zetafax Server. Click ‘Yes' to confirm that you do and click “Install” to start the upgrade process.
- If you are upgrading from Zetafax v2008 to v2009, you will not need to enter an upgrade license. If you are upgrading from an older version, you will be prompted to enter an upgrade license. Zetafax licenses are normally located on stickers on the product case, or will be emailed to you by a member of the sales team. After you have entered the license as appropriate click “Next” and then “Install” to start the upgrade process. The upgrade should then run and complete without further user intervention.
- When you click Finish, your new Zetafax installation is ready to be registered. To do this, you can start the Zetafax Server and open the Zetafax Client. The Client will automatically prompt you to register your copy of Zetafax with our online registration service.
Installing Zetafax Server on a clean system
If you are updating to a new version of Zetafax, where the old version is no longer installed, or are installing Zetafax Server for the first time, you should follow these instructions:
- Run the installation program (SETUP.EXE) from the CD-ROM or downloaded version of Zetafax (ZFDuoInstall.exe) from the Equisys website.
- You will be asked to enter your license details. Enter your Starter system license in the license box. This is the three-part license number that was given to you when you first purchased Zetafax. The install will warn you that this is an old starter license number and that you will need to enter an upgrade license once the install has completed.
- Click “Next” and then select the folder you wish to install the Zetafax Server to. Then click “Install” on the last dialog in the sequence. The install should then run and complete without further user intervention.
- Once the install has completed you should run the Zetafax Configuration program. This can be launched from the Start menu (Start-> Programs-> Zetafax-> Zetafax Configuration). The first time it is run the configuration program will take you through the “Configuration Wizard”.
Starting the configuration wizards
Click “Next” to start configuring Zetafax.
License and Registration Wizard
The License and Registration Wizard allows you to set up additional licenses and to configure the details that will appear on your registration. You can purchase licenses for additional users, additional lines, API functionality, or integration with third-party products.
When the wizard launches, the License number dialog is displayed.
- Add your License Number
- Click “Add” to set up any additional add-on licenses, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on add-ons for Zetafax.
- Click “Next” when finished.
Software Assurance entitles you to free upgrades for one year. If you have a Software Assurance license, you must register it here to be eligible for free upgrades.
If you have a Software Assurance licence number enter it here and select “Next”.
Contact email@example.com for further information on acquiring a Software Assurance license.
Copies of Zetafax 2009 and any associated upgrade or add-on packs require the registration to be completed within 28 days to be able to continue sending faxes. You will be prompted to register your copy if you have not done so, this will open up the License and Registration Wizard, it offers you two methods of registering depending on whether the machine you are using has an internet connection. If the machine lacks access to the internet it is possible to register your copy of Zetafax from another machine.
Registering from another computer
To register your copy of Zetafax from another computer, select the Register from Another Computer button. This will open up a dialogue box containing the details necessary to perform a registration from another machine, copy these details and follow the instruction detailed below from a computer with internet access.
- Click the Register Online button.
- Add the Company name and select the “Register” button, the Product Registration Page should open already populated with the license key details.
- Add any remaining missing details and when finished click the “Register” button, your registration code will be emailed to the email address provided on the registration page.
- Enter this registration code into the License and Registration Wizard, select the “Finish” button to complete your registration process.
Updating the Zetafax Client
If you have an existing version 2006, 2007 or 2008 Zetafax Client then, after the Server 2009 update, the first time you open each existing Zetafax Client install the Client automatic update feature will ask if you wish to update the Client now or later. If you click “Yes” and then follow the installation wizard, the install will run and complete.
If there is no existing Zetafax Client on the PC, for example you are installing the Client for the first time on a PC then you need to log on to each of such PC’s as the network administrator. Open windows explorer and browse to the network share for your Zetafax Server open the SYSTEM” sub-folder (e.g. \Program Files\Zetafax Server\System\wksetup.exe) and run the “wksetup.exe” program and follow the installation wizard
The Zetafax Client Applications can be rolled out using Group Policy for both updates and new installs. Please consult the online help documentation for advice on how to do this.
Upgrading the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2003
In order to upgrade the Zetafax Exchange Connector, you must first uninstall the existing connector on the Exchange Server. To do this:-
- Log on as a user with sufficient rights, for example, Domain admin rights (Including schema admin rights on active directory if it's a Windows 2003 domain).
- Open the Control Panel and double-click Add/Remove programs.
- Select Zetafax Exchange Connector and click Uninstall.
- Restart the Exchange server.
Having uninstalled the Zetafax Exchange connector for Exchange 2000/2003 systems you will need to run the Zetafax Exchange 2003 Schema Utility that can be downloaded from:
Next, install the new connector from the Zetafax CD. To do this:
- Insert the CD in the CD-ROM drive. The installation program runs automatically.
- In the dialog displayed, select Install Zetafax, and then Choose Zetafax Email Connectors.
- Next select the Email Connector relevant to your system whether that be Exchange 2003, 2007 or the Zetafax SMTP Server.
Installing the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007
There are two parts to the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007. The first part is automatically installed on the Zetafax Server machine as part of the Zetafax Server install. The second part is installed on the Exchange 2007 machine.
To install the Exchange 2007 part of the connector, please do one of the following:
- Install the connector using the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007 installer by following ZTN1615 - INFO: Installing the Zetafax Connector on Exchange 2007 Server
- Install the components manually by following ZTN1565-HOWTO: Manually Installing Exchange 2007 Server-Side Components
Upgrading the Email Gateway
The Zetafax Server installation program now includes the Zetafax Email Gateway files.
As a result, the Email Gateway is automatically upgraded when the Zetafax Server is upgraded.
Upgrading the Zetafax Outlook Extensions
The Outlook Extensions for Outlook 2000 and later are now included in the Zetafax Client Applications combined installer. There is no separate installer. The Zetafax Client Applications installer also upgrades the custom Outlook forms as appropriate.
Upgrading the Zetafax Web Client
On the server hosting the Web Client, run the install program from the Zetafax CD. During the install, you are prompted to re-enter the account name and password created when you installed the earlier version of the Web Client.
Upgrading Zetafax Notebook Installations
To upgrade notebook installations (having already upgraded the main Zetafax Server): -
Insert the (new) Zetafax CD into the machine with a notebook install.
- Connect the notebook PC to the network and run Setup.exe from the CD. The install detects the notebook install and updates it.
- Once the update is completed, upgrade the Zetafax Client (see section on Upgrading the Zetafax Client above).
Upgrading Zetafax API applications
If your Zetafax API application uses ZFAPI32.DLL, ensure that your application loads the updated version of the DLL installed with the updated Zetafax Server. If your application links statically to the API library (ZFAPIS.LIB), you should recompile your application and link to the updated library file, which is also installed with the updated server.
Upgrading the Zetafax SMTP Server
On the server that has the SMTP Server installed, run the install program from the Zetafax CD.
Last updated: 24th March 2009 (GR/MW)