PRB: Modem trouble shooting guide for Zetafax.
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
This document contains a number of known problems which may occur with Zetafax and modems.
Zetafax may be configured with Class 1, Class 1.0, Class 2 and Class 2.0 modems.
US Robotics Modems
Zetafax performs a number of special processes with U.S. Robotics (USR) modems to optimise their performance with Zetafax. This document gives some guidelines to help ensure the best operation for systems using USR modems.
Check that you have the most recent firmware available for the modem - manufacturers often update the fax compatibility with firmware revisions. These can be obtained from the USR website http://www.usr.com/.
- Run the Zetafax Configuration program again and select Devices. Add a new device, selecting the specific USR model. If it's not listed choose " USRobotics fax modem" .
- Click 'All Settings' and then the 'More...' button, and set the 'Maximum baud rate for receiving faxes' to 9600. Ensure that "Use as Class 1" is selected. Close the program.
- Restart the Zetafax Server, then test the modem both sending and receiving faxes.
Please also refer to ZTN1036 for more information about this error.
Zetafax will communicate with modems via a COM port. USB modems create a virtual COM port and it is possible for this to change when the USB modem is either disconnected then reconnected again or the machine is restarted. If this situation occurs, the modem will need to be recreated in Zetafax configuration.
It is recommended to use a serial modem as they do not use virtual COM ports and will not have issues with the ports changing.
Intelligent Fax Boards
Because Zetafax talks to modems via a COM port, it is more likely to develop problems during faxing. It is highly recommended to use an Intelligent Fax Board for faxing with Zetafax. Zetafax will communicate directly with the board, all processing is handled by the board itself and data is transmitted with a higher level of error correction. We recommended the use of Brooktrout (Cantata) and Eicon fax boards.
My modem is not hanging up after making a call.
Edit the following file using NOTEPAD: zfax\SYSTEM\Z-DB\SETUP.INI
Scroll down the file until you find the FCLASS paragraph for your modem, e.g. [FCLASS-1].
Locate the following line:
Modify this line so that it looks like this:
NOTE that there should be a space after the colon ':'.
Zetafax is reporting the error 'No suitable device for addressee' when I try sending a fax.
This means that Zetafax is not able to locate a device that can be used for sending. If you have not configured a modem for use with Zetafax you should do so. If you have setup a modem using the Zetafax configuration program the above message will be reported if the modem has been configured for "receive only". To allow sending from a device that has been setup within Zetafax perform the following tasks:
- Run the Zetafax configuration program
- Select the option 'Configure devices'
- Select your modem and click on the EDIT button
- Deselect the option 'Use for incoming calls only
- Click on OK then choose QUIT from the configuration menu
- Restart the Zetafax server
Sending to or receiving from certain people always seems to fail. Why?
If you are experiencing difficulties with sending / receiving check if this is happening with all devices sent to or receiving from.
If you can successfully send to other devices it is most likely that there is an incompatibility between your fax modem and the other fax device.
Try the following:
- Check on the Equisys web site (http://www.equisys.com/) that you have the latest version of the Zetafax FCLASS driver
- If using Zetafax 6 or later, use the Zetafax configuration program to change the modem settings to enable Class 1 operation - this helps with many compatibility issue
- Check with the modem manufacturer that you have the latest version of the modem firmware.
Configuring modem transmission speeds:
- Run the Zetafax configuration program.
- Under devices, right click on your modem device and select Edit.
- Select More.
- Set maximum baud rate speeds to 9600. Save the settings.
- Restart the Zetafax Server.
Alternatively, you can configure device settings in SETUP.INI
- Edit the following file using NOTEPAD: zfax\SYSTEM\Z-DB\SETUP.INI
- Locate the section which refers to your modem device, e.g. [FCLASS-1].
- Add the following lines:
If after applying the above changes and you are still encountering problems, add the following lines to SETUP.INI
VoiceCommands: OFF (please note DTMF tones will not work with this line)
I have got the DDI option with Zetafax but my modem is not recognising the DTMF tones produced by the PBX or Fax Router.
For this to work your modem must support the Rockwell voice command. You should check in your modem user guide or with the manufacturer, which voice command set the modem is using. If the modem is not using the Rockwell chipset it will not be compatible with the Zetafax DDI option.
I have got an internal fax modem, how do I know which fax classes it supports.
Use HyperTerminal in the Accessories | Communications program group. When prompted for a connection name type in 'test' and click OK. You will then be asked which modem to connect with, choose 'COMn', where 'n' is the com port number used by your modem. Click OK twice.
Type the following in the terminal window:
The modem reply will give the "class" supported, and will be of the form:
Where 0 is for data, 1 is Class 1 fax, 2 is Class 2 fax and 2.0 is Class 2.0 fax. A reply of "ERROR" confirms that the modem does not support fax.
Zetafax Server shows message 'Error No Reply from Device Initialising Device'
Zetafax does not communicate directly with the modem but rather through the COM port. The above message usually means Zetafax can communicate with the COM port but the device is not present.
- Restart the modem if necessary.
- If using an internal PCI modem, try a different slot.
- When using a USB modem, be sure that the Virtual COM port has not changed, otherwise recreate the device in Zetafax configuration specifying the correct COM port.
Connection to the remote fax fails, the Zetafax server shows 'Error UNABLE TO CONNECT OR NO ANSWER'
This error is related to a problem with the remote modem.
- Call the remote fax number with a telephone and make sure you can hear a fax connection.
- Reduce the speed of your modem. Zetafax Configuration | Devices | Edit | More (refer to section 3 of this technote).
- Confirm if 9 is required to make a call from your fax device.
- Turn off Voice Commands. Please note this will disable DTMF (DDI) inward routing. Edit the following file using NOTEPAD: zfax\SYSTEM\Z-DB\SETUP.INI. Locate the section which refers to your modem device, e.g. [FCLASS-1]. Add this line:
Save the file and restart the Zetafax server.
Faxes are being continuously sent.
There is a handshake problem between your fax device and the remote fax device. Make sure the firmware is up to date. These should be available from the device manufacturer's website.
Received faxes are black or squashed.
Reduce the speed of the modem within the Device Settings in the Zetafax Configuration to 9600. Add CleanFaxes: YES and ReceiveReversed: YES at the end of the FCLASS-n section in the SETUP.INI file (C:\Program Files\Zetafax Server\System\Z-DB by default)
Please see also ZTN1404 for further information regarding this issue.
Received faxes are incomplete.
Make sure the firmware for your device is up to date.
Please refer to section 3 to edit modem settings to see if this resolves the problem.
I have tried everything, what else can I attempt?
· Check the phone line is OK by plugging in a normal phone (Analogue). Try dialling the telephone number for that line to check that the line works correctly (is the telephone cable OK? Make sure you are using the phone cable provided by the modem manufacturer).
· If you have another fax modem, try configuring that for use with Zetafax.
· If characters are being dropped or erroneous data received on receiving faxes, try reducing the ReceiveSpeed setting for your modem. This can be done be running the Zetafax Configuration program. From the main menu of the configuration program select 'Configure devices'. Edit your modem settings and click on the 'More' button.
· If you are using an intelligent serial card and/or special COM port drivers, remove them from the system.
· Try attaching the modem to a different PC on the network, and running the fax server from that PC.
For additional information on troubleshooting modems, please see the following Zetafax technical notes:
ZTN1003-INFO: Modem hang-up status codes for class 2.0 fax.
ZTN1065-INFO Enabling detailed logging within Zetafax.
ZTN1029-INFO: Fax devices supported by Zetafax.
ZTN1036-HOWTO: Configuring Zetafax with USR Fax modems.
ZTN1038-FIX: Inward routing fails with ZYXEL 2834I ISDN modem if configured to use Class 1.
ZTN1039-FIX: Errors using USR Courier V.Everything with Zetafax.
ZTN1040-FIX: Errors using Zetafax with Equinox Analogue modem pool.
Last updated: 31st May 2006 (JW/EB/PJ)
Keywords: < Modem> < Multitech> < Black> < Fails>