HOWTO: Configure Zetafax 7 with Windows 2000 terminal services (mixed mode)
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 7.00.0.26
- Windows 2000 server (including the Citrix Metaframe 1.8/XP add-ons)
This document details how to deploy Zetafax in a Windows 2000 terminal services application server environment, when users wish to print from an application within the terminal session but have the Zetafax client installed on their standard Windows workstation (rich client).
NOTE: Equisys do not support the Zetafax server, email gateway installations or Outlook extensions when installed directly on the terminal server, but rather on a separate computer accessible via a network share.
The Zetafax client can be configured so that a user can 'Print to Fax' from within the terminal session or the Zetafax client that is installed on the users rich client. To enable this functionality follow the instructions below:
The installed Zetafax server files will need to be updated using the terminal services client update (ZFW2KTS_700343.EXE), before continuing with these instructions. This is available on the Equisys web site www.equisys.com/updates as a separate download for Zetafax 7 users.
Once the update has been applied, you must follow the next two steps that are detailed further in this document:
o Install the Zetafax client on the terminal services server so that the Zetafax printer is available in the terminal session for 'Print to Fax'.
- Install the Zetafax client on the rich client and then change its configuration to also pick up printed documents from the terminal session printer.
Installing the Zetafax client on the terminal server:
Log onto the application server as the network administrator and run zfax\SYSTEM\WKSETUP.EXE, where 'zfax' is the name of the directory where the Zetafax files are installed.
Note: The client must be installed directly on the terminal server and not from within an RDP session
1. Select 'Install client - standard setting' and click OK.
2. You may now be presented with a dialog box asking whether you want the setting changes to apply to all users or just the user you are currently logged on as, click 'yes' so that all users will be able to use the Zetafax client. If you are not presented with a dialog box the install will automatically apply to all users. Confirm the path to the source files and the default target by clicking 'OK'.
3. The Zetafax printer and Zetafax program group will now be installed and be available to all users that have Zetafax user accounts.
4. Using notepad, open ZETAFAX.INI, which should be located in the windows system folder (e.g. C:\WINNT), and change:
then save the changes and exit.
5. Browse to Program files\Zetafax and rename the ZETAFAX.EXE to TSZETAFAX.EXE. This step is to stop the client starting up automatically in the terminal session and offering the addressing dialog.
6. Launch the Zetafax client in the terminal session from the Zetafax program group, the operating system will attempt to locate ZETAFAX.EXE automatically and should be able to redirect the shortcut to the renamed TSZETAFAX.EXE. This step is only necessary if you wish the Zetafax client to be available to users in the terminal session also.
Installing the Zetafax client on the rich client:
1. Log onto the rich client as administrator and run zfax\SYSTEM\WKSETUP.EXE, where 'zfax' is the name of the directory where the Zetafax files are installed.
2. Select 'Install client - standard setting' and click OK to install the Zetafax client accepting all defaults.
3. When presented with the Zetafax installation menu at the end of the install, select 'Edit configuration- advanced settings after installation' and click OK.
4. Select the default options for your installation until you are presented with the 'Terminal Server services' dialog box. Check the 'Enable Terminal Server (Client side) functionality' check box and click OK.
5. Step though the install with the default options for your installation.
Testing the installation:
1. Log onto the rich client as a user with a valid Zetafax account and start the Zetafax client.
2. Start a terminal services client session, logging on as the same user that is logged on in the rich client.
3. Browse to the printers folder in the terminal session, highlight the Zetafax printer and go to File|Properties, then print a test page.
4. You will get a message asking you to run the Zetafax client in the terminal session, click OK.
5. The addressing dialog box will popup on the rich client, address the fax with a test fax number, confirm the options and then send.
NOTE: if you have any problems please refer to the troubleshooting section below.
Is embedded addressing supported with terminal services?
The embedded addressing feature is not supported with the Zetafax printer within a terminal session. However, if you 'Print to Fax' on the rich client you will be able to use embedded addressing.
When using Zetafax within terminal services how do I install the office addins?
If users wish to install the Zetafax office addins, each user then needs to install them by following the instructions in the Word document titled 'Installing the Zetafax Office Addins'. This document can be found in the Zetafax program group.
When I print a document to the Zetafax printer I do not get the Zetafax addressing dialog box, even if the Zetafax client is running.
On printing the document to the Zetafax printer you should be presented with the Zetafax addressing dialog box, if not, this may be due to the 'daemon' process not running in the terminal session. To check for this, start Task Manager and check to see if ZFDAEMON.EXE is listed in the current processes. If it is not running then copy zfax\SYSTEM\I386\ZFDAEMON.EXE to the 'All users' startup group and restart the session.
When I print to the Zetafax printer the client does not automatically startup.
This feature is not supported in mixed mode, in this mode the client must be running when you print the document for the addressing dialog box to pop up.
I have changed from standard mode to mixed mode and I do not get the addressing dialog.
Search for all instances of ZETAFAX.INI on the terminal server and delete the instance for the user experiencing the problem, as this instance is taking precedence over the edited instance located in the windows system folder.
I am receiving an error message when printing to the Zetafax printer regarding disk write failed.
You will need to change the access rights of the Zetafax printer installed on the terminal server. Log in to the terminal server as the administrator and browse to the printers folder, highlight the Zetafax printer and go to File|Properties, then select the 'Device Settings' tab. Locate the 'Access specific share on server' section and enable this feature to use the administrator account preceded with the NT domain name (e.g. DOMAIN\administrator) and password. Click OK to save your changes and retry the print job.
ZTN1131-HOWTO: Configure Zetafax 7 with Windows 2000 terminal services
Last updated: 26 April 2001 (SV/DH)