HOWTO: Pre-rendering documents for use with the API
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 5.5 and later
- Note that the FaxMerge Printer is not shipped from Zetafax 9 onwards
Both the Zetafax Client and the e-mail gateway allow you to send files from third-party applications without having to convert them first.
However, you may find that with some fax solution users need to submit a file to the Zetafax Server directly. In this case, the file will need to be " pre-rendered" ; ie, manually converted into one of the Zetafax Server's native formats. In particular, this is necessary when sending files using Z-submit and the C-language or COM API. This technote describes a simple method to do this without purchasing further software.
To pre-render a file on any version of Windows, follow these instructions:
If the Zetafax client is installed on the workstation:
- Print the document to the Zetafax FaxMerge Printer.
- Search for a file called Zetafax.spl.
- Submit Zetafax.spl as the attachment instead of the original document.
If the Zetafax client is not installed you do not want to install it on the workstation:
- On the client machine, install an Epson LQ-1000 printer from your Windows CD.
- Use the Print to file option of the original application or your program to print to the Epson printer and direct the output to a file. This file should have the extension EPN.
- Submit the EPN file as the attachment instead of the original document.
For additional information on Zetafax API, please see the following Zetafax technical notes:
ZTN1066-HOWTO Using the Zetafax API functions
ZTN1068-HOWTO Using the Zetafax API from Visual Basic
Keyword: Pre-render Documents API
Last verified: 14 November 2005 (CT/EB)
Last updated: 05 August 2004 (ET/SV)