HOWTO: Move NAV Service Tier to a TLS1.2 compliant Windows Server with Zetadocs and SharePoint Online
This Zetadocs technical note applies to:
- Windows Server 2008, 2008R2, 2012 and 2012R2
- Zetadocs for NAV v10.0 and later
- Zetadocs Server v4.0 and later
The factbox displays an error message:
"Failed to search for documents. Please contact your administrator."
and the ZetadocsArchiveApi logs have one of the two following error messages:
“The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.”
"Zetadocs.Exceptions.BaseException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."
This applies when using SharePoint Online as the archive option for Zetadocs NAV v10.0 and up or when using the Zetadocs Server v4.0 and up on a PC with Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2008.
This problem will affect all users and block their ability to connect to SharePoint Online via the factbox or the Zetadocs Server.
This issue is caused by SharePoint Online now requiring a minimum TLS version of 1.2 for all connections for security reasons. Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2008 have an incompatibility with these higher TLS version.
The first step to try and resolve this issue is to follow this technote: HOWTO: Enable TLS1.2 with Zetadocs for NAV (equisys.com)
If the issue persits then you'll need to migrate to a newer version of Windows (Server 2016 and later).
To migrate the NAV Service Tier:
- First follow these instructions to install the NAV service on a new PC
Server Option - Dynamics NAV | Microsoft Docs:
- Then follow these instructions to connect the existing clients to the new service. Migrating a Deployment to a New Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server Instance - Dynamics NAV | Microsoft Docs
- Install the related version of the Zetadocs Server Extensions for your version of Zetadocs NAV on the PC now running the NAV service.
- Test the new install by refreshing the factbox.
To migrate the Zetadocs Server:
- Save the config.xml from the install folder (usually in C:/Program Files (x86)/Zetadocs Server/Document Converter/config.xml).
- Download the latest version of the Zetadocs Server from the Equisys website and install it on the new PC. Optionally download and install the Zetadocs OCR Engine as well if you require Abbyy.
- Copy your old config file across and run the Zetadocs Server Configuration Tool.
- Test by dropping a file into the shared network folder specified in your config file and make sure it appears in you Document Queue in NAV/BC.
Equisys is aware of this issue it is caused by a third party component and the behaviour of the software versions given above is as designed.
Last updated: 26 October 2021 (MP/CR)
Keywords: Zetadocs NAV, Zetadocs Server, SharePoint Online