HOWTO: Creating letterheads and attachments.
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
· Zetafax 5.5 to Zetafax 8.0.1 inclusive
Note: The coversheet editor is currently the recommended way to create and edit coversheets. The FaxMerge printer is only available pre Zetafax 9.
It is possible to create faxable attachments and corporate letterheads from any word processing package by printing to the Zetafax printer and saving the output for later use. The following note goes into detail on how this is achieved from your word processing package, to supplement the information in the User Guide.
Creating a letterhead from a word processor version using the Zetafax printer
Each letterhead for use with Zetafax is stored as a multi page graphics file, in the zfax\SYSTEM\Z-LETTER directory, where 'zfax' is the name of the directory where the Zetafax server files are installed.
The pages of the document being sent are merged with the letterhead pages in order (as when you print a document onto letterhead and continuation paper). If there are more pages in the document file than in the letterhead, the last page of the letterhead is used for all remaining pages.
Most companies have letterhead paper (with their address and logo) for the first page of letters, and continuation paper (with just a logo, or perhaps blank) for all other pages. To mirror this with Zetafax the letterhead file should contain two pages, with the letterhead sheet as the first page and the continuation sheet as the second.
- Open the company letterhead and your continuation paper (or a blank sheet) as its second page with your word processing package.
- Select the Zetafax printer driver.
- With the server and client running, print the document using the Zetafax printer driver. After a short time the Zetafax Addressing window will appear.
- Click the SAVE AS button to display the " Save file as" dialog box.
- Select the " Coversheet, letterhead or attachment" option and click OK. This will display the " Save as system file" dialog, where you should select " Letterhead background" . The option will be disabled if the Zetafax printer driver was not selected.
- Enter a file name without any extension (e.g. " LETTHEAD" if you want to overwrite the default file), and a short description to help users. Click OK and the letterhead will be created.
Creating a letterhead from a printed version
If you do not have a word processor version of your letterhead, you can still create a new Zetafax letterhead simply by sending from another fax machine (effectively using the other fax machine as a scanner).
1. Ensure that you are logged in to the Zetafax client as the user you have configured to receive incoming faxes. From another fax machine send Zetafax your letterhead and continuation paper as a two-page fax, in FINE resolution. You should get a notification that a new fax has been received, and see an entry for the new fax in your IN window.
2. Select the entry, then choose File | View to check it has been received correctly. The file resolution (displayed on the status bar) should be 200 x 200 dpi - otherwise you didn't send it in FINE mode, and you should try again! Quit from view, then choose File | Save as system file to save the file
3. Continue with step 5 above.
Removing a letterhead
To remove a Zetafax letterheads follow these steps:
1. Run the Zetafax configuration program
2. Select the option " Coversheets and letterheads" and click OK
3. Make sure that the " letterheads" radio button is selected
4. Highlight letterhead name to be removed
5. Click on the " Delete" button
6. If you are sure that you want to remove the selected letterhead then click " Yes" when asked for confirmation
7. Unless you wish to remove/edit any other letterheads, select " close" . You will then be taken back to the main configuration menu. Select " Quit" then click OK.
Creating an attachment for use with Zetafax using the Zetafax printer
Two forms of attachment are available, system attachments and private attachments. System attachments are available to any one using the Zetafax server where the attachment is stored. Private attachments are only available to the user that creates them. Each attachment for use with Zetafax is stored as a multi page graphics file. System attachments are stored in the zfax\SYSTEM\Z-GRAPH directory. Private attachments are stored in the zfax\USERS\%username%\Z-GRAPH directory.
Attachments are usually used for any documents that you might send out regularly (such are price lists or product information). An advantage for using them is that you can send more than one attachment at any one time to a recipient or group of recipients. Digital versions of you signature can also be saved as a Zetafax attachment, in most cases signatures would be saved as a private attachment. Attachments such as signatures can be merged onto a document that you are sending by the use of FaxMerge commands.
Select the Zetafax printer driver. With the server and client running, print the document using the Zetafax printer driver. After a short time the Zetafax Addressing window will appear.
1. Click the SAVE AS button to display the " Save file as" dialog box.
2. Select the " Coversheet, letterhead or attachment" option and click OK. This will display the " Save as system file" dialog, where you should select " Public attachment" or " Private attachment" . These options will be disabled if the Zetafax FaxMerge printer driver was used or if you have not followed perfectly the instructions above.
3. Enter a file name without any extension (e.g. " ATTACH" ), and a short description to help users. Click OK and the attachment will be created.
If you do not have a word processor version of your attachment, you can still create a new Zetafax attachment simply by sending from another fax machine (effectively using the other fax machine as a scanner). See above for instructions.
If you have a TWAIN compatible scanner you can simply hit the " Acquire" button on the Zetafax workstation toolbar. If you do this continue on from step 1.
Removing an attachment
Attachments are removed via the Zetafax workstation (client). To remove attachments follow these simple steps:
1. From the Zetafax workstation select " Change directory" from the Window menu.
2. You will need to change to the directory where the attachment you wish to remove resides. To remove a system attachment change to the zfax\SYSTEM\Z-GRAPH directory. To remove a private attachment change to the zfax\USERS\username\Z-GRAPH directory.
3. The " Filed" (bottom) window will now display the attachment files listed in the directory you selected. Highlight the attachment you wish to remove.
4. Click on the Delete button (or select " Delete/Abort" from the File menu).
5. You will now be asked to confirm deletion. Click " Yes" to delete attachment or " Cancel" to abort.
For additional information on creating letterheads and attachments, please see the following Zetafax technical
ZTN1002-HOWTO Creating letterheads and attachments with application servers
Last updated: 12 October 2005 (GR/SV)
Keywords: Letterheads attachments coversheet editor