HOWTO: Configuring Lotus Notes R5 with Zetafax
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 6.01h and later
- Lotus Notes 5.0 and later
All versions of Lotus Notes R5 are fully supported in Zetafax 6.01h and higher. This technical note gives step-by-step instructions for configuring Lotus Notes R5 with the Zetafax e-mail gateway. It assumes that a Zetafax server and Lotus Domino R5 have been installed and are running on your network. These two do not need to be on the same machine.
This document only concerns aspects of the configuration which are different in R5 compared to the instructions included in the Zetafax Software Guide. You will still need to consult the manual on how to configure the Zetafax e-mail gateway.
To install the Zetafax e-mail gateway for Lotus Notes you will need to follow the steps below, and which are described in further detail later in this section.
- Choose the Lotus Notes server and domain on which you wish to install the gateway and install a router mailbox and foreign domain.
- Install a full Lotus Notes client on the Zetafax server PC.
- Install the e-mail gateway software on the Zetafax server PC.
- Set up the e-mail gateway using the Zetafax configuration program, register the e-mail system, and test the connection to the Lotus Notes server.
- Install the mail rendering printer driver and any rendering applications.
- Configure Zetafax users to use the e-mail gateway.
Open the Domino Administrator. Select the Domino server you want to configure in 'Use Directory On', and view the 'People & Groups' tab.
- In the Tools list on the right-hand side, click on 'Registration', then 'Person...'.
- Enter the Certification password and OK the warning messages about recovery information if it appears. When the Register Person dialog box appears, make sure the'Advanced' checkbox in the upper-left-hand corner is ticked.
- On the 'Basics' tab, assign a username to the Zetafax e-mail gateway user, such as "Zetafax Mail Gateway".
We recommend that no password be specified for this user. If you give it a password, the Zetafax Server will prompt you for this password every time it starts, and when you run the Zetafax Configuration. To set a blank password use the 'Password Quality Scale' and set it to 'Weak' (Password is optional (0)).
- On the 'Mail' tab, ensure that the Mail type is set to Lotus Notes and you have selected the appropriate Mail Server.
- On the 'ID Info' tab, uncheck 'Domino Directory' and check 'In File' instead. Make a note of the path where the user's ID file will be saved.
- Click on 'Add Person', then click on 'Register'. This will save the user's details to the Domino Database.
Creating a router mailbox
The next stage is to create a mail router mailbox database. The router mailbox acts as a database to hold mail in transit to the Zetafax server. We will use the standard Lotus Notes template provided with the software to create the router mailbox.
- Go to File> Database> New in the Domino Administrator's menu. In the resulting dialog, enter a name such as Routing for Zetafax, and the filename FAX.NSF.
If you choose to give the filename a different name or store it in a different location, make a note of this now. You will need to provide this information when configuring the Notes foreign domain and Zetafax.
- Make sure 'Show Advanced Templates' is ticked, and then select 'Mail Router Mailbox (R5)' as the template for the database.
- Click the 'OK' button to create the database.
Specifying access rights
The next stage in the configuration is to grant manager access rights to the Zetafax Mail Gateway user for the Zetafax router database, Lotus Notes mail router database and the public address book.
To set the access rights for the Zetafax Router Database (FAX.NSF):
- Open the Zetafax router database (FAX.NSF) in the Domino Administrator client.
- Go to File> Database> Access Control. This will display the 'Access Control List' dialog.
- Click the 'Add.' button. This will display the Add User dialog box.
- Click the icon representing a Lotus Notes user. This will display the Names dialog box.
- At the top of the dialog, select the 'server's address book' to display the Zetafax Gateway user you set up earlier. Highlight the user and click on 'Add > '.
- Click the 'OK' button to return to the Access Control List dialog box.
- In the Access Control List dialog box, select the Zetafax Gateway user and select 'Manager' from the Access box.
- Click the 'Delete Documents' check box to select it.
- Click the 'OK' button to confirm these access rights.
To set the access rights for the Mail Router database (MAIL.BOX):
- Open the Mail Router database (MAIL.BOX) in the Domino Administrator client.
- Repeat steps 2 to 9 as above.
To set the access rights for the Domino Directory (NAMES.NSF):
- Open the Domino Directory (NAMES.NSF):in the Domino Administrator client.
- Repeat steps 2 to 9 as above.
Defining a foreign domain
Finally, you need to define a foreign domain in the Public Address book to serve as the gateway to the Zetafax server. This will allow faxes sent from Notes to be forwarded to FAX.NSF.
- In the Domino Administrator client, click on the 'Configuration' tab in the tabs pane. Expand the 'Server' entry on the left-hand tasks pane, then click on 'Configurations'.
- Go to Create> Server> Domain. This will display the 'New Domain' screen.
- If the Create menu is not visible, click on the blank space in the middle of the window to get the full menu.
- Enter the following details:
What you enter
Foreign domain name:
Gateway server name:
The full Lotus Notes server/certifier name
Gateway mail file name:
FAX.NSF, the router mailbox database
A description; e.g. Zetafax Gateway
It is not normally necessary to alter any of the other default settings. The domain is then ready to begin exchanging mail with Zetafax.
You must now install a full Lotus Notes client on the Zetafax server PC. When installing, you will need to specify the ID of the special Zetafax Lotus Notes user you created earlier (see "Creating a Lotus Notes user" on page 1).
- Run the Lotus Notes client Setup program, ensuring that the 'Get registration ID from a file' check box on the initial login screen is selected.
- When prompted, enter the filename and path to the ID for the Zetafax User you created earlier in this document. This file will usually have the extension ID (e.g. ZMAILGAT.ID).
- After the installation, make sure the location of the Lotus Notes files (e.g. C:\LOTUS\NOTES) has been added to the path environment variable. If not, add the directory manually to the path.
Testing the foreign domain
You have now completed all the necessary steps to configure Lotus Notes. Before proceeding to configure Zetafax, you should now test the FAX foreign domain.
- Send a test message from a Lotus Notes user to the following recipient:
- Log on to a Lotus Notes client using the special Zetafax user you created earlier.
- Open FAX.NSF. The message you sent should be waiting in the Zetafax router database.
Installing the Zetafax Options
Updating the Lotus Notes templates
To install the Zetafax options for Lotus Notes:
- Run UPNOTES.EXE from the directory zfax\MAIL\MAILNOTES on the Zetafax Server machine.
- Amend the default values for the 'Address Book Templates' section as follows:
'Zetafax template': zfax\MAIL\MAILNOTES\ENU\FAXNAMES.NTF
'Template to be upgraded': SERVER/CERTIFIER!!PUBNAMES.NTF
- Amend the default values for the 'Mail File Templates' section as follows:
'Zetafax template': zfax\MAIL\MAILNOTES\ENU\FAXMAIL50.NTF
'Template to be upgraded': SERVER/CERTIFIER!!MAIL50.NTF
Where 'zfax' is the path to the Zetafax Server's base directory, and SERVER/CERTIFIER the name of the Domino server. This name appears on the title bar of the Domino server.
- Click on 'OK'. You will be reminded that you need to modify the templates manually as well, and then the necessary items will be added to both the templates.
Modifying the mail template database
Once the template databases have been updated, you need to insert the Zetafax subforms and then refresh the database design or wait until Notes does its daily refresh.
- In the 'Domino Designer', open MAIL50.NTF.
- By default, the Memo form will be selected. Double-click on it to view its design.
- Place your cursor beneath the second instance of < Computed Subform> , then go to Create> Insert> Subform, and select 'Zetafax Action'.
- Go to File> Save.
- Right-click on the 'Mail (5.0)' entry in the left-hand column, then select Refresh> Design. Select the server you are configuring, then click 'OK', and then 'Yes'. It might be necessary to do this for each mailbox as well, though the changes should normally propagate on their own.
Modifying the public address book database template
- In the 'Domino Designer', open PUBNAMES.NTF.
- By default, the Person form will be selected. Double-click on it to view its design.
- Place your cursor below the Internet password field, then go to Create> Insert Subform, and select 'Zetafax Action'.
- Go to File> Save.
- Right-click on the 'Domino Directory' entry in the left-hand column, then select Refresh> Design. Select the server you are configuring, then click 'OK', and then 'Yes'.
After completion verify that the Zetafax Default and People view are present. You will need to refresh each address book database manually or wait until Notes does its daily refresh.
Please refer to the Zetafax Software Guide for instructions to configure the Zetafax e-mail gateway.
Last updated: 5 December 2001 (ET/DH)