FIX: Zetafax Server computer name truncated to 14 characters
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax version 17.5 and earlier
If you are running the Zetafax Server on a computer where the computer name (or NetBIOS name) is exactly 15 characters long, saving the Remote Administration settings in the Zetafax Configuration Program truncates the computer name to 14 characters. This prevents the server from being started as an application (rather than a service) and may also affect use of some server management actions.
The Server Settings > Remote Administration settings page is used to set the remote server computer name which is stored in the SETUP.INI file. This is the NetBIOS computer name which can be up to 15 characters long.
Usually the computer name is set automatically during installation and will not need to be changed subsequently. However, a fault in the Zetafax Configuration program means that if the name is exactly 15 characters long then clicking Save on the Remote Administration settings screen causes the name to be truncated to 14 characters. This may cause the following issues depending on the system configuration:
· On the Zetafax Server computer, running the Zetafax Server application from a user session fails if the Zetafax Server is not running as a service with the following error:
o The Zetafax Server is not running and cannot be started remotely
· The Zetafax Server Monitor program displays the truncated computer name in the title – eg if the server computer name is “MYZETAFAXSERVER” the program title will be shown as:
o Zetafax Server Monitor \\MYZETAFAXSERVE
· On the Zetafax Server computer, the Zetafax Server Monitor program Manage Devices option fails with the following error:
o Remote Device Control is currently not enabled
The issue can be resolved in one of the following ways
Option 1 – Software update
An update is available for Zetafax version 17.5 systems which corrects the issue. Please contact Equisys support to obtain this if you are running the Zetafax Server on a computer with a 15-character name.
Option 2 – Change computer name for Zetafax Server
The issue only occurs if the computer name for the Zetafax Server is 15 characters long. Changing the name of computer to a name containing 14 characters or fewer will avoid the issue.
Option 3 – Edit configuration settings file
You can restore the correct computer name as follows:
· Using Notepad, open file zfax\SYSTEM\Z-DB\SETUP.INI (where zfax is the folder where the shared Zetafax files are installed – eg “C:\Program Files (x86)\Zetafax Server”)
· Locate the section “ServerComputerName” line in the [REMOTE ADMIN] section. This should include the truncated computer name - eg
· Correct the server name to add the missing letter on the end, then save the change
Note that you will have to repeat this fix if you subsequently display the Remote Administration settings page then save the settings.
This issue has been corrected in an update for Zetafax version 17.5 systems, and this fix will be included later versions of the software.
Last updated: 13 March 2020 (GW)