HOWTO: Updating to Zetafax version 17.5
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax version 17.1
- Zetafax version 17.0
- Zetafax 2014 and earlier systems
This document describes how to update an installed Zetafax system to version 17.5 from an older version.
Before starting the upgrade process, ensure you have the following:
· An existing Zetafax system, which has been installed with a Zetafax starter licence
· The Zetafax version 17.5 installation file set, usually downloaded as file ZetafaxInstallSet.exe
· (If upgrading from Zetafax 2014 or earlier only) A version upgrade license number for Zetafax version 17 similar to the following:
Upgrade the Zetafax Server
Start by upgrading the Zetafax Server. This upgrades the server programs, and also updates the installation files required to upgrade the client and some other components.
- Shut down the Zetafax Server or stop the Zetafax Server service with the Services applet in Control Panel.
- Copy the self-extractor program ZetafaxInstallSet.exe to a new folder, then run the program
- Choose the destination folder, then click Install to extract the installation files
- If the Welcome installation program did not start automatically, start it by running program Welcome.exe from the installation file set folder
- Select Install Zetafax > Zetafax Server to run the Zetafax Server Setup program.
- Click Yes to confirm that you with to upgrade an existing installation, then Next to start the upgrade process.
- Enter the upgrade license number if requested, then continue until the installation completes.
Register the system
Only required if upgrading from Zetafax 2014 or earlier
If you entered an upgrade license number during the step above then you will need to re-register your system using our online registration service.
- Run the Zetafax Configuration program, right-click on Licencing and Registration, then choose Modify/Upgrade license details to display the Licence and Registration wizard
- Click Next until the Online Registration screen is displayed
- Click Register Online to display the Product Registration page in your browser
- Enter the registration details, then click Register to submit the details
- Your registration code will be emailed to the email address provided on the registration page.
- Enter this registration code into the License and Registration Wizard, then click Finish to complete your registration process.
Upgrade the Dialogic Brooktrout drivers
Only required for systems using the Zetafax FoIP Connector (SR140 Edition) or Brooktrout fax boards
1. Log on to the computer running the Zetafax Server with an account which has local administrator rights on that computer.
2. Stop the Zetafax Server if running
3. Using the Services app, stop the Dialogic Corporation Boston Host Service if running
4. Using Windows File Explorer, create a temporary backup folder then copy the following configuration files from folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Brooktrout\Config to the temporary backup folder:
5. Using Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the Dialogic Brooktrout Runtime Components if already installed
6. Run Windows File Explorer, browse to folder zfax\Server\Boston (where zfax is the network share for your Zetafax Server – eg C:\Program Files (x86)\Zetafax Server), then run program Boston.msi to start the Brooktrout Runtime Software setup program.
7. Follow the instructions to install the Brooktrout software. Once the installation process has completed, close the Setup program.
8. Using Windows File Explorer, copy the configuration files saved above to folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Brooktrout\Config, overwriting the files created during the installation.
9. Now run the Brooktrout Configuration Tool from the Windows Start menu. The program will display the Preferences screen
<img width="378" height="271" src="/technotes/ZTN2134_files/image006.jpg" alt="B60 乛 out Configuration T00 一 , Preferences
80 on Ho Service Start Mode Manual
』 一 m File location
8TCaII Configu 「 on File " style="border-width: 0px; border-style: solid;" />
10. Click OK to accept the default locations. The program will then display the Brooktrout Configuration Wizard.
<img width="514" height="358" src="/technotes/ZTN2134_files/image007.jpg" alt="Brooktrout Configuration Tool Wizard Mode
Welcome to the Brooktrout Configuration Wizard
This wizard will help you configure your Dialogic amoktmut hardware and software to communicate
with the networks in which they are deployed There are two ways to run the configuration tool
The tool will guide you through the configuration prompting you for the minimal information
needed to get your pmduct up and Wizard mode uses default values that will work in most
This mode is for users with a strong knowledge of the network parameters needed for the particular
deployment This mode lets you modfy the default parameterz set in the Wizard Mode and gives
access to parameterz not usually needed f you enter Advanced Mode. you can only switch back
to the Wizard Mode by restarting the tool
Context Sensitive Help - The Configuration Tool pmvides context sensitive help for parameter&
To access the context sensitive help. hold the cursor over the parameter input area to see a brief
parameter description. or fight-click the parameter and select 'Whats this?' fmm the dmp-down
box to get a more complete definition
Click Next to continue in Wizard Mode or switch mode by clicking Advanced Mode
Help I " style="border-width: 0px; border-style: solid;" />
11. Click Next to review the settings until you reach the end of the Wizard, then click Finish.
12. Now start the Zetafax Server. Confirm that the Brooktrout devices are initialised and start up correctly with no error messages being displayed.
Upgrade the Zetafax SMTP Server
Only required for systems using the Zetafax Email Gateway and Zetafax SMTP Server
1. On the server that has the Zetafax SMTP Server installed, stop the Zetafax SMTP Server service using the Services app.
2. Run Welcome.exe from the Zetafax installation file set extracted earlier, then select Install Zetafax > Zetafax Email Connectors > Install Zetafax SMTP Server to run the setup program
3. Follow the instructions to upgrade the Zetafax SMTP Server program
4. Using the Services app, restart the Zetafax SMTP Server. Confirm that the service starts and continues running.
5. Start the Zetafax Server, then test that you can send and receive faxes using the SMTP mail client as before
Upgrade the Zetafax Web Client
Only required for systems using the Zetafax Web Client
1. Run program Welcome.exe from the Zetafax installation file set extracted earlier, select Install Zetafax > Zetafax Web Client to display the download page, then download the Zetafax Web Client setup program. Note that you will need to enter a username and password to access the download – these are the same credentials as you used for the main product download.
2. On the Windows IIS server hosting the Web Client, run the Zetafax Web Client setup program, then follow the instructions to install the update.
3. Start the Zetafax Server, then test that you can use the Zetafax Web Client as before
Upgrade the Zetafax Client
The server upgrade copies the Zetafax Client Applications setup programs in the shared folder. The Zetafax Client checks this folder each time it is run, and will then prompt the user to upgrade. This requires the user to have administrator rights on their computer.
If your users do not have admin rights then you should upgrade the client manually by doing the following on each client computer
1. Log on to the computer with an account which has local administrator rights on that computer.
2. Close the Zetafax Client if running.
3. Run Windows File Explorer, browse to folder zfax\System (where zfax is the network share for your Zetafax Server – eg \\MyServer\ZFAX), then run program WKSetup.exe
4. Follow the instructions to update the client components, including the Zetafax Printer and the Zetafax Outlook Extensions
The Zetafax Client Applications can also be updated using Group Policy. Please consult the online help documentation for advice on how to do this.
Custom applications using the Zetafax API
This version of the Zetafax Server is compatible with older versions of the Zetafax API libraries used by custom applications to communicate with the Zetafax Server. If you are using a custom fax-enabled application, this should continue to work after the upgrade without any further action being required. Please contact Equisys or the application vendor for further information if required.
ZTN2133-INFO What is new in Zetafax version 17.5
Last updated: 17th June 2019 (GW/NT)