HOWTO: Setup an AudioCodes MP 118 FXS FXO with Zetafax Fax Relay
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 2011 or later.
- Zetafax FoIP Std Edition Connector
- Zetafax FoIP SR140 Edition Connector
This document will describe the steps required to configure an AudioCodes MP118 FXS FXO gateway to work with Zetafax and the Fax over IP connector with Fax Relay.
Ensure you have connected the power supply, analogue line(s) and LAN via an Ethernet connection.
To configure your Zetafax system, this is completed in two easy stages. The first stage is to configure your AudioCodes media gateway. Once this has been completed you can configure your Zetafax server. The AudioCodes gateway is supplied with Zetafax configuration files and Scenario files that can be directly loaded onto the gateway minimizing the steps required to configure your unit.
Obtaining the Zetafax Configuration files
You can download the Zetafax AudioCodes configuration from the link below:
Step 1: Setting the IP Address
By default the AudioCodes gateway is configured with the IP address of 10.0.10.11. This IP address will most likely need to be changed to fit into your existing infrastructure. We do not recommend the use of DHCP as the AudioCodes media gateway is an IP gateway, so its address must stay static.
Please connect a laptop to the gateway and set the laptops IP address to 10.0.10.11 / 24. Please open a web browser and connect to http://10.0.10.11 using the login credentials Admin:Admin which is case sensitive.
- Select the Configuration button.
- Then select IP settings.
- Select IP networking mode: Single IP Settings.
- Enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.
- Click Submit (you will now loose connectivity as the IP address changes)
- Please note the IP address has been set, but only until the unit is rebooted. You must connect the unit to the LAN and reconnect to the new management URL http://%3cnew%20ip%20address> and select burn to commit the changes.
Please note: if you prefer to use the BOOTP function of the MP1xx to set the IP address of the gateway (For Advanced Users), this is available via download. BootP Software: BootP_2_3_0_14.zip
Step 2: upload the Zetafax Default settings
To simplify the configuration of the gateway our technical team have produced a standard configuration to upload to the unit which you can tweak to your exact requirement. For most installations the standard configuration works without the need to change any settings, other than running through the basic scenario screens.
- From your AudioCodes web interface please select the Device Actions button from the top of the page, then select Load Configuration File.
- From the Configuration file screen please select the Browse button. Please locate the “Zetafax_MP118_FXS_FXO_Relay.ini” file provided by our technical team, then select Load INI.
- Your device will restart. Please wait for the gateway to reboot.
- Click on the Scenarios button.
- You will be presented to create a new scenario, click ok.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select “get/send a scenario file”, see above.
- Browse to locate and load the “Zetafax_MP118_FXS_FXO_Relay.dat” file.
Step 3: Configure your AudioCodes gateway
You can now configure the AudioCodes gateway to work within your specific environment. This is done by walking through the simple Zetafax scenario steps.
- Select Proxy Sets Table (option 2) as we have already set the IP address settings.
- Specify your Zetafax Server IP address in the Proxy Address table leaving the transport type as UDP.
Select Outbound Channel Selection.
- We need to specify the outbound channels to use. The example below is specifying that channels 5 to 8 can be used for outbound. The Hunt Group ID is the reference to the Hunt group in the next section. Please note that Hunt Groups 11-44 are used to identify the Fax Relay ports 1-4.
Select Outbound Hunt Group Settings
- Setup your channel Hunt groups. For most users the default suffices, as the gateway will simply locate the next free port in ascending order.
Select Inbound DDI Port Mapping settings.
- The MP1xx device allows you to map each inbound line to a specific Zetafax user. The default values map DDI 1111 to port 1 etc.
Fax Settings and FXO settings. These two fields can be skipped as they allow a telecoms engineer to tweak advanced settings for telephony systems compatibility. Most users will not have to change these settings.
The “FXS Relay Number Manipulation” can be used to change the device ID for each port.
In the image below, within the Prefix to Add field, you will notice the entries “*501*”, “*502*” etc. These fields are used identify the fax device attached to the FXS port. Under certain circumstances you may need to change the default id to a new unique number. Please use the format of *< Device ID> *, as this allows Zetafax to recognise the call as a Fax Relay call. We would not recommend changing the Destination Prefix.
The Optional Management Settings from the scenarios list are used to setup Syslog reports to a Syslog application for monitoring of the gateway activity. Optional Syslog Monitor Software: Syslogd.zip
The “Change Password” option from the scenarios list is used to set the password for the configuration and management of your gateway.
Please note: You must click on the burn option to save the changes to the unit. If you do not burn the settings to the gateway when power is lost the settings will also be lost.
To setup your Zetafax server to communicate via the AudioCodes media gateway please follow the online help for your edition of Zetafax FoIP connector.
Zetafax FoIP SR140 Edition
Zetafax FoIP Standard Edition
AudioCodes Media pack 1xx Homepage http://www.audiocodes.com/products/mediapack-1xx
Last updated: 8th November 2011 (AF/MW)