HOWTO: Setup an AudioCodes Mediant 600 with Zetafax
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 2010 or later for Std FoIP, and Zetafax v12 or later for FoIP SR140 Edition.
- Zetafax Fax Relay with Zetafax 2011 or later.
- Zetafax FoIP Std Edition Connector
- Zetafax FoIP SR140 Edition Connector
This document will describe the steps required to configure an AudioCodes Mediant 600 gateway to work with Zetafax and the Fax over IP connector.
Ensure you have connected the power supply, BRI line(s) and LAN via an Ethernet connection.
To configure your Zetafax system, this is completed in two easy stages. The first stage is to configure your AudioCodes media gateway. Once this has been completed you can configure your Zetafax server. The AudioCodes gateway is supplied with Zetafax configuration files and Scenario files that can be directly loaded onto the gateway minimizing the steps required to configure your unit.
Obtaining the Zetafax Configuration files
You can download the Zetafax AudioCodes configuration, BootP (optional) and SysLogd (optional) from the link below:
Step 1: Setting the IP Address
By default the AudioCodes gateway is configured with the IP address of 10.1.10.10. This IP address most likely will need to be changed to fit into your existing infrastructure. We do not recommend the use of DHCP as the AudioCodes media gateway is an IP gateway, so its address must stay static.
Please connect a laptop to the gateway and set the laptops IP address to 10.1.10.11 / 24. Next open a web browser and connect to http://10.1.10.10 using the login credentials Admin:Admin which are case sensitive.
- Select the Configuration button.
- Next select IP settings.
- Then select IP networking mode: Single IP Network.
- Enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.
- Click Submit (you will now lose connectivity as the IP address changes).
- Please note the IP address has been set, but only until the unit is rebooted. You must connect the unit to the LAN and reconnect to the new management URL http://< new ip address> and select burn to commit the changes.
Please note: if you prefer to use the BOOTP function of the Mediant 600 to set the IP address of the gateway, this is available via download.
Step 2: Upload the Zetafax Default Settings
To simplify the configuration of the gateway our technical team have produced a standard configuration to upload to the unit, which you can tweak to your exact requirements. For most installations the standard configuration works without the need to change any settings, other than running through the basic scenario screens.
- From your AudioCodes web interface please select the Device Actions button from the top of the page, then select Load Configuration File.
- From the Configuration file screen please select the Browse button. Please locate the “Zetafax_M600_Settings.ini” file provided by our technical team, then select Load INI.
- Your device will restart. Please wait for the gateway to reboot.
- When it has rebooted click on the Scenarios button.
- You will be presented to create a new scenario, click ok to continue.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select get/send a scenario file. Please see above.
- Browse to locate and load the Zetafax_M600_Senario.dat file.
Step 3: Configuring your AudioCodes Gateway
You can now configure the AudioCodes gateway to work within your specific environment. This is done by walking through the Zetafax scenario.
- Select Trunk Group Settings, as we have already configured the Gateway IP Address Settings.
- Set your routing groups. In this example we are routing from the BRI to SIP only using the first port. Trunk 1-4 would specify all 4 BRI ports to be used. Please check that the module is correctly selected, as module order can change with each unit.
Note: Trunk Group Index 1 defines BRI line settings, whereas 11-14 are used for Fax Relay. If your unit does not have the combination of BRI and FXS ports please remove all lines except for Group Index 1
Select Zetafax Servers from the scenarios list.
Enter the first proxy address as the IP address of your Zetafax server.
Select Trunk Settings. Please change the ISDN BRI line configuration options if required. Note: You are required to stop the trunk before you can apply changes.
The Optional Management Settings from the scenarios list are used to setup Syslog reports to a Syslog application for monitoring of the gateway activity.
The “FXS Relay Number Manipulation” can be used to change the device ID for each port.
In the image below, within the Prefix to Add field, you will notice the entries “*501*”, “*502*” etc. These fields are used identify the fax device attached to the FXS port. Under certain circumstances you may require to change the default id to a new unique number. Please use the format of *< Device ID> *, as this allows Zetafax to recognise the call as a Fax Relay call. We would not recommend changing the Destination Prefix.
The Change Password option from the scenarios list is used to set the password for the configuration and management of your gateway.
Please note: You must click on the burn option to save the changes to the unit.
If you do not burn the settings to the gateway when power is lost the settings will also be lost.
To setup your Zetafax server to communicate via the AudioCodes media gateway please follow the online help for your edition of the Zetafax FoIP connector.
Zetafax FoIP SR140 Edition
Zetafax FoIP Standard Edition
To Configure the Zetafax Fax Relay add-on, please follow the online help for your edition of the Fax Relay add-on.
Zetafax Fax Relay
AudioCodes Mediant 600 Homepage http://www.audiocodes.com/products/mediant-600
Last updated: 23 May 2011 (AF/MW)