HOWTO: Configure the Zetafax Connector in an Exchange 5.5 Multi-Site Environment
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
This document describes the process for configuring the Zetafax Connector, Outlook Forms and Outlook Extensions in an Exchange 5.5 multi-site environment.
There are four major components that require configuring when setting up the Zetafax Connector in an Exchange 5.5 multi-site environment:
- General Exchange system configuration.
- The Zetafax Connector.
- The Zetafax Outlook Forms.
- The Zetafax Outlook Extensions.
These are described in detail in following sections.
General Exchange system configuration
This document describes the mechanism for configuring the above in a two site Exchange architecture consisting of 1 Exchange server in each site and a Zetafax server. Machine one is the Zetafax Server (ZFSERVER), machine two is the Exchange 5.5 machine on which we will install the Zetafax Connector (EXCH1) in SITE1 and machine three is an additional Exchange 5.5 system (EXCH2) in SITE2.
The remainder of this document assumes the following:
- The Zetafax Server has been installed on machine ZFSERVER.
- Both Exchange 5.5 systems have been configured in SITE1 and SITE2, and both sites are members of the same Organisation.
- An Exchange Site Connector has been set up between SITE1 and SITE2.
- Directory Replication has been set up between SITE1 and SITE2.
You should refer to your Exchange system documentation for details on how to configure the last three points above. Details on how to install the Zetafax Server can be found in the install guide shipped with the Zetafax CD.
The Zetafax Connector
In an Exchange multi-site environment you have the option of sharing one connector between multiple sites. In this example you will install the Zetafax Connector in SITE1 and the Zetafax Connector Admin Templates in SITE2. Both sites will share the connector in SITE1.
- To install the Zetafax Connector on machine EXCH1, browse to the 'excnctr' folder on the Zetafax CD and run setup.exe. Follow the on-screen instructions, choosing the full Zetafax Connector and Admin Templates install option when prompted.
- To install the Zetafax Connector Admin Templates on machine EXCH2, browse to the 'excnctr' folder on the Zetafax CD and run setup.exe. Follow the on-screen instructions, choosing the 'Admin Templates only' install option when prompted. Note: you may do this for any additional sites you have installed, as this example only has two.
You will then configure the Zetafax Email Gateway so it knows about your Exchange configuration. This can be done by following technical note ZTN1238-HOWTO Install the email gateway for Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000
Once the above has been completed and Directory Replication has taken place, you should be able to administer mailboxes from EXCH2 on EXCH1 and vice versa. To ensure that Zetafax specific information is being replicated across sites, perform the following test:
- Open the Exchange System Administrator on EXCH2
- Display the properties for a mailbox which is local to that machine
- Click on the 'Zetafax Options' tab.
- The Zetafax properties should be displayed, and the Coversheet and Letterhead drop-downs should be populated.
Note 1: Sometimes it may be necessary to display the Zetafax Options for the Site before the Zetafax Options will display correctly for individual mailboxes.
Note 2: If you have multiple exchange servers per site, ensure that you point the Exchange Administrator at the Exchange server which has the connector installed on it. This ensures that the Zetafax Options tab is available to the Exchange Administrator program to display.
You will then modify the site connector in SITE2 to route FAX message types to SITE1. To do this, perform the following steps:
- In the Exchange Administrator open the 'SITE2' site connector properties.
- Click on the 'Address Space' tab, then click on 'New.'.
- In the 'New Address Space' dialog, select 'Other' and click 'OK'.
- In the 'Properties' dialog, enter 'FAX' into the type field.
- Click 'OK', then 'OK' again to complete.
The Zetafax Outlook Forms and Extensions
The next step is to install the Zetafax Outlook Forms and Extensions. The forms are installed at the Organisation level, and therefore need only be done once. To install the Zetafax Outlook Forms and Extensions, you should follow ZTN1113-HOWTO Installing Zetafax Outlook Forms and Extensions
Verifying your configuration
Once the above has been completed, you can perform the following tests to ensure that your system has been configured correctly.
- Log on to an Outlook profile for an Exchange user whose mailbox resides on EXCH2
- Compose a new fax
- Click the 'Zetafax Options' button and verify that the dialog contains Coversheet and Letterhead information
- Address and Send the fax.
- The fax should be sent through the Zetafax Connector on machine EXCH1 to the Zetafax Server. A fax notification should be returned to the user's mailbox.
- Perform the same operation for a user whose mailbox resides on machine EXCH1.
ZTN1238-HOWTO Install the email gateway for Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000
ZTN1113-HOWTO Installing Zetafax Outlook Forms and Extensions
Last updated: 6th December 2004 (GR/SV)
Keywords: Exchange 5.5