HOWTO: Adding custom variables to Coversheet editor
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
Zetafax allows custom coverpage variables to be created and added to cover pages with the Zetafax Coversheet editor (COVEDIT.EXE). This is useful when you wish to add a signature or other file to customise a common corporate coversheet.
The "%%[INSERT:file] FaxMerge command allows you to insert a picture or image at the current position in the message. The named file can be a system-wide graphics file (stored in zfax\SYSTEM\Z‑ GRAPH, where zfax is the path to the Zetafax root folder) or a private file (stored in zfax\USERS\username\Z-GRAPH).
Examples where it could be used for a coversheet include signatures, photos of the sender, or even a "cartoon of the week"
The instructions below show how you would add a field to the coversheet editor to insert a signature file called SIG.G3F at a given position. For this the FaxMerge command would be "%%[INSERT:SIG]"
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Equisys cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
For information about how to edit the registry, view the " Changing Keys and Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) or the " Add and Delete Information in the Registry" and " Edit Registry Data" Help topics in REGEDT32.EXE. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
- Run REGEDIT.EXE and go to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Equisys/Zetafax Coversheet Editor/
- Select the 'Other Fields', 'Recipient Fields' or 'Sender Fields' key, depending on which category list you want to add an item to. Now add a new string value called "Data".
- Edit the "Data" item and set the value to "command=description" where command is the desired FaxMerge command (omitting the leading "%%[ ]" characters) and description is the name which will appear in the category list. You can specify multiple fields by separating them with a comma.
In this example, the value data would be
"INSERT: SIG=Insert signature file"
- Run the coversheet editor. Choose Insert Field (Insert menu) - "Insert signature file" should now be included in the list you selected.
The signature files would need to be stored in the Z-GRAPH folder for each user.
To create a signature file:
- Create your signature file as a graphics file (this can be done by scanning in your signature.
- Add your signature to a word document in the top left hand corner.
- Print your word document to the Zetafax printer.
- Select the Save as an attachment or other system file option and press next.
- Select the Save Image file option and press OK.
- Choose a File name (in this example SIG).
- Ensure your file is saved in the correct location:
Zfax\USERS\< USERNAME> \Z-GRAPH
Where Zfax is the location of the Zetafax server files and < USERNAME> is the name of the user.
Last updated: 18/10/2005 (EB)
First Published: 28 January 2005 (GC/GW)