HOWTO: Updating to Zetafax 2007 SP2
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Users updating to Zetafax 2007 SP2.
This document describes how to update a Zetafax installation to version 2007
Instances under which you cannot update the Zetafax Server
Zetafax Server 2007 SP2 is only supported on Windows 2000, Windows XP,
Windows Vista and Windows Server 2003. Support for other operating systems is
If you have a system which is not Zetafax 2007 (i.e., Zetafax 2006, Zetafax
9.1 or earlier), you will require an upgrade license for Zetafax 2007. You
should obtain this before starting to install the service pack update.
Updating from Zetafax 2007 SP1 with SP2 patch
If you are updating from Zetafax 2007 SP1, please install the Zetafax 2007
Service Pack 2 update: ‘ZTN1656-11.1.643.exe’,
or update your Zetafax installation using the Update Service.
To do this, select Help à Check for Updates… in the Zetafax Server Monitor.
Updating an installed version of the Zetafax Server
If you are updating a previously installed version, please follow the
procedure outlined below:
- Shut down the Zetafax Server or stop the Zetafax Server service with the
Services applet in Control Panel.
- Run the installation program (SETUP.EXE) from the CD-ROM or run the download
version (ZETAFAX.EXE) from the Equisys website.
- If you are updating to v2007 SP2 from an existing version 9, 9.1, v2006 or
v2007 install you will be asked if you wish to upgrade the Zetafax Server. Click
‘Yes' to confirm that you do and click “Install” to start the upgrade process.
- If you are on version 9, 9.1 or v2006 of Zetafax, the install will prompt
you to enter an upgrade license. Zetafax licenses are normally located on
stickers on the product case, or will be emailed to you by a member of the sales
team. After you have entered the license click “Next” and then “Install” to
start the upgrade process. The upgrade should then run and complete without
further user intervention.
- When you click on “Finish”, Zetafax will be ready to be re-registered. You
can do this by starting the Zetafax Server and then opening a Zetafax Client.
The client will automatically prompt you to send a new registration fax.
Installing Zetafax Server on a clean system
If you are updating to a new version of Zetafax, where the old version is no
longer installed, or are installing Zetafax Server for the first time, you
should follow these instructions:
- Run the installation program (SETUP.EXE) from the CD-ROM or downloaded
version of Zetafax (ZETAFAX.EXE) from the Equisys website.
- You will be asked to enter your license details. Enter your Starter system
license in the license box. This is the three-part license number that was given
to you when you first purchased Zetafax. The install will warn you that this is
an old starter license number and that you will need to enter an upgrade license
once the install has completed.
- Click “Next” and then select the folder you wish to install the Zetafax
Server to. Then click “Install” on the last dialog in the sequence. The install
should then run and complete without further user intervention.
- Once the install has completed you should run the Zetafax Configuration
program. This can be launched from the Start menu (Start-> Programs-> Zetafax->
Zetafax Configuration). The first time it is run the configuration program will
take you through the “Configuration Wizard”.
- The “Configuration Wizard” will display a warning dialog telling you that
you need to enter a license. Click “OK”, you will now get a dialog captioned
“Install add-on” (see above). Enter the upgrade number you were given when you
purchased the new version. Make sure you also enter any other upgrades you might
have obtained in the past (additional lines or users, for instance) – you can do
this from the next dialog
- Click “Next” and enter your details in all the proceeding dialogs. When you
click on “Finish”, your new Zetafax installation will be ready to be registered.
You can do this by starting the Zetafax Server and then opening a Zetafax
Client. The client will automatically prompt you to send a registration fax.
- The program will now run through a series of wizards which will guide you
through the basic configuration of your Zetafax Server.
Updating the Zetafax Client
Once the server is updated, you are ready to update the Zetafax clients. To
do this, log on to each user's PC as the network administrator and ensure the
Zetafax Client is not running. Open windows explorer and browse to the network
share for your Zetafax Server, open the “SYSTEM” sub-folder and run the
“wksetup.exe” program. If you have an existing version 9 or later Zetafax Client
the install will detect this and ask if you wish to remove the old installations
before installing the new Zetafax Client Applications install; if you click
“Yes” and then follow the installation wizard, the install will then run and
complete. If there is no existing Zetafax Client on the machine, or a version 8
or earlier Client, then the install will simply install a new Client.
The Zetafax Client Applications can be
rolled out using Group Policy for both updates and new installs. Please consult
the online help documentation for advice on how to do this.
Upgrading the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2000/2003
In order to upgrade the Zetafax Exchange Connector, you must first uninstall
the existing connector on the Exchange Server. To do this: -
- Log on as a user with sufficient rights, for example, Domain admin rights
(Including schema admin rights on active directory if it's a Windows 2000/2003
- Open the Control Panel and double-click Add/Remove programs.
- Select Zetafax Exchange Connector and click Uninstall.
- Restart the Exchange server.
Having uninstalled the Zetafax Exchange connector for Exchange 2000/2003
systems you will need to run the Zetafax Exchange 2000/2003 Schema Utility that
can be downloaded from:
Next, install the new connector from the Zetafax CD. To do this:
- Insert the CD in the CD-ROM drive. The installation program runs
- In the dialog displayed, select Install Zetafax, and then choose the
relevant option from those listed.
Installing the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007
There are two parts to the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007.
The first part is automatically installed on the Zetafax Server machine as part
of the Zetafax Server install. The second part is installed on the
Exchange 2007 machine.
To install the Exchange 2007 part of the connector, please do one of the
- Install the connector using the Zetafax Exchange Connector for Exchange 2007
installer by following
ZTN1615 - INFO: Installing the Zetafax Connector on Exchange 2007 Server
- Install the components manually by following
ZTN1565-HOWTO: Manually Installing Exchange 2007 Server-Side Components
Upgrading the Email Gateway
The Zetafax Server installation program now includes the Zetafax Email
As a result, the Email Gateway is automatically upgraded when the Zetafax
Server is upgraded.
Upgrading the Zetafax Outlook Extensions
The Outlook Extensions for Outlook 2000 and later are now included in the
Zetafax Client Applications combined installer. There is no separate
installer. The Zetafax Client Applications installer also upgrades the
custom Outlook forms as appropriate.
Please note that the Zetafax Client Applications installer will not install
integration for Exchange 5.5 users. This is done via a manual install of
the Outlook Extensions. The advice on how to do this is as follows.
To install the Organizational Forms: -
- Copy the zetafax.pst file from \Zetafax\Zfforms on the Zetafax CD to a local
folder on a client PC with Microsoft Outlook installed.
- Start Outlook and log on as the user with 'Owner' permissions on the
Organizational Forms folder.
- In Outlook, select Open> Outlook Data File… from the File menu and browse to
zetafax.pst, then click OK.
- In the Outlook folder list, select the Zetafax folder just added and browse
to the Forms folder.
- Open the Install the Forms message.
- Click the Install Forms button at the bottom of this message. This may take
a few seconds.
To install the Outlook Extensions on a users PC: -
- Copy the Zetafax Outlook Extensions install folder from the Zetafax CD to a
network share. For Exchange 5.5, this is \zetafax\ZfOutExt. These can also be
downloaded from the updates page on the website:
- Close Outlook and install the Zetafax Outlook Extensions (run setup.exe from
the shared folder).
- Start Microsoft Outlook.
- In the zetafax.pst file opened in step 3 when installing the Organizational
Forms, you will see an email titled Welcome to Zetafax Outlook Extensions.
- Edit the user message and replace < < path to the file> > with the network
path to which you copied the Zetafax Outlook Extensions install folder.
- Finally, you should forward the Welcome to Zetafax Outlook Extensions
message to all users to install the extensions on their computers.
Note: Users need to have local administrator rights to install the extensions
Upgrading the Zetafax Web Client
On the server hosting the Web Client, run the install program from the
Zetafax CD. During the install, you are prompted to re-enter the account name
and password created when you installed the earlier version of the Web Client.
Upgrading Zetafax Notebook Installations
To upgrade notebook installations (having already upgraded the main Zetafax
Server) : -
Insert the (new) Zetafax CD into the machine with a notebook
- Connect the notebook PC to the network and run Setup.exe from the CD. The
install detects the notebook install and updates it.
- Once the update is completed, upgrade the Zetafax Client (see section on
Upgrading the Zetafax Client above).
Upgrading Zetafax API applications
If your Zetafax API application uses ZFAPI32.DLL, ensure that your
application loads the updated version of the DLL installed with the updated
Zetafax Server. If your application links statically to the API library
(ZFAPIS.LIB), you should recompile your application and link to the updated
library file, which is also installed with the updated server.
Upgrading the Zetafax SMTP Server
On the server that has the SMTP Server installed, run the install program
from the Zetafax CD.
Last updated: 11 December 2007 (NT/TA)