PRB: "This document failed to print" or "There was an error found when printing the document" error when printing to the Zetafax printer.
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
When printing a document to the Zetafax printer you may receive one of the following error messages.
"This document failed to print"
"There was an error found when printing the document "Test Page" to ZETFAX_SPL:. Do you want to retry or cancel the job?"
This error will occur if the user doesn't have the correct permissions on the Zetafax printer. This can happen if they are not a member of the local 'Administrators' or 'Power users' groups.
If after working through this technical note you still have an issue with printing to the Zetafax printer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line 'Version 9 Printer permission issue' to be informed of any updates if/when they become available.
To resolve this issue on affected machines, work through the following steps.
- Logon on to the system as a user with local administrator rights.
- Open the Printers and Faxes folder (Start|Settings|Printers and faxes)
- Right click the Zetafax printer, and select properties.
- Click the Security tab. Then Select the Everyone group (as below).
- Check the Manage Printers and Manage Documents options, then click Apply, and then click OK.
Users should now be able to print documents to the Zetafax printer regardless of the users profile they logon with.
Note: administrators could instead add users to the local powers users group. As power users have these permissions on the printers already.
This has been identified by Equisys as a problem with the software versions given above.
Last updated: 30th June 2004 (SV/DH)
Keywords: Print failed permission