PRB: Conflicts between Zetafax and Outlook 2000 SR-1 with the third security update
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax 7.00.0.26 and later.
- Outlook 2000 SR-1 (Version 220.127.116.1127)
Using Outlook 2000 SR-1 with the third corporate or workgroup security update applied (this is installed as part of the Office 2000 Service Pack 2 update), you receive virus warning when attempting to add a previous recipient on the Zetafax new fax form.
This will also affect use of the 'Rush', 'Hold' and 'Release' buttons on faxes in the Zetafax Outbox.
During installation you will find that Outlook blocks you being able to save the Zetafax Outlook extensions (ZFOUTEXT.EXE) to the desktop as the Zetafax installation notes instruct you to do.
Note: This does not affect users of Outlook 2000 SR-1 (Version 18.104.22.16821) that have not applied the latest security update.
Outlook 2000 SR-1 with the third e-mail security update severely impacts programs that use the Outlook object model and prompts users with a dialog box when an external program attempts to access their Outlook Address Book or send e-mail on their behalf.
The Exchange administrator will need to customise the default security settings by following the information contained in the README.TXT supplied as part of the Outlook security update administration pack (ADMPACK.EXE) this is available from the Microsoft web site at the following location: http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/appndx/toolbox.htm#secupd.
Once the default security settings are in place after completing the instructions in the README.TXT, you may either edit these settings for all users in the Exchange site or create custom security settings for each of the Zetafax Outlook extension users.
Follow the instructions below to edit the default security settings:
- Launch Outlook and navigate to the public folder 'Outlook Security Settings' and open the 'Default Security Settings' form.
- On the 'Programmatic Settings' tab, select the 'Automatically approve' radio button for the following settings:
When sending items via Outlook object model:
When accessing address information via Outlook object model:
- Click 'Close' and save the settings.
To specify custom security settings for Zetafax Outlook users:
- Click 'Security Settings for Exception Group' and type a name in the 'Security Group' text box. (The name may be anything, but you should choose a name that describes the group.)
- In the 'Members' text box, type the name of each Zetafax user who must have custom security settings. You can't type the name of a distribution list in the 'Members' text box; you must type names individually.
- Apply the settings as above, and then click the 'Close' button.
Exchange administrators should read article Q263297 OL2000: Administrator Information About the Outlook E-mail Security Update for information about customizing the Outlook security update.
For more information on understanding how the security update affects the operation of Outlook view article Q262631 on the Microsoft web site, http://www.microsoft.com/.
This has been identified by Equisys as a problem with the software versions given above.
Keyword: Outlook 2000 Virus Warning
Last verified: 14 November 2005 (CT,EB)
Last updated: 7 December 2000 (GC/DH)