PRB: Brooktrout TR114 or Trufax Fax cards fails with "Port BFAX0 busy or not initialised".
This Zetafax technical note applies to:
- Zetafax server version 8.0.1 and 9.0
The Brooktrout devices fail to initialise when starting the Zetafax server. The server reports error messages similar to the ones below
04-02-27 03:56:02 BFAXINIT - (S) - Brooktrout driver failed to start
04-02-27 03:56:02 BTROUT-1 - (W) - Port BFAX0 busy or not initialised
04-02-27 03:56:02 BTROUT-1 - (E) - Error COMMUNICATION PORT FAULT initialising device
04-02-27 03:56:02 BTROUT-1 - (I) - Device status now DEVICE ERROR
04-02-27 03:56:02 BTROUT-1 - (I) - Waiting for FAX to recover
There are four known situations that would cause this behaviour. These are listed below:
- The Zetafax server module Bfaxinit.exe cannot initialise some cards correctly.
Note: This will occur with all TR114 and Trufax ISA cards, but may also occur with some PCI cards.
- The settings in the default BTCALL.CFG file shipped with version 9 are invalid for some systems and would cause the issue after installation.
- There is a mismatch between fax board firmware shipped with the card, and .pex files shipped with Zetafax server.
- The .pex files shipped with Zetafax can have issues with some Brooktrout cards when installed on windows 2003 server.
To resolve this issue, work though the following steps.
- Download an updated Bfaxinit.exe from the Equisys ftp site using the following link, and follow the instructions included in the self extracting zip file.
Start up the Zetafax server; it should initialise the card correctly. If it fails to function then continue to the next steps.
- Browse to the Zfax\server\Btrout\ folder (where Zfax is the location of the Zetafax server files) and locate a file named btcall.cfg and rename it to btcall.old.
- In the same folder, locate a file named btcall.new and copy and paste it into the same folder so you now have a file named "Copy of btcall.new" then rename it to btcall.cfg.
- Start up the Zetafax server; it should initialise the card correctly. If it fails to function then continue to the next step.
- Download the latest pex firmware from the Equisys ftp site using the following link, and extract the files to the Zfax\server\Btrout\ folder.
- Open the btcall.cfg file in the Zfax\server\Btrout\ folder and under the section headed Firmware files edit the entries so that they reference the updated firmware files.
Note: the files names listed should match the downloaded files exactly i.e. in the file names shown above the firm16 file contains a hyphen (-) in the file name whilst the firmware and firmware_2m both contain an underscore (_) in the file name.
- Start up the Zetafax server; it will initialise the card correctly.
This has been identified by Equisys as a problem with the software versions given above
ZTN1071-HOWTO: Brooktrout ISDN board ignores calls if channel 0 is set to send only
ZTN1237-HOWTO: Install a Brooktrout TR114 BRI intelligent fax card
ZTN1255-HOWTO: Installing Brooktrout TR1034 Patch
ZTN1297-HOWTO: Setup Zetafax to use Brooktrout Plug'n'Play drivers for TR114 & TruFax
Last updated: 2nd June 2004 (SV/GR)